cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start the new Dropbox beta app

Can't start the new Dropbox beta app

tucsonbil
Explorer | Level 3

MacBook Pro w/ silicon. Latest OS. Migrated everything over and when I got around to verifying that dropbox was working (it wasn't ... was hanging on "metadata") I then saw the "beta" link and signed up. Whoa! Big changes ... but navigated through that (I think). Then I noticed that the Dropbox app was missing from my drive - so I downloaded and ran the installer. It quit, installed, and tried to start (not). Says "Dropbox 140.4.1951 Can't sync" in hover over icon.

Got "Dropbox cannot start" ... "Dropbox ran into a connection issue" window ... with a friendly "get help" button ... Which I promptly pressed and was taken to a dropbox business site and promptly told that my Admin had to give me permission to login. I'm the Admin! There is nobody else here!!

Help please ... this has taken a ridiculous amount of time so far and I'm going backwards.

Thank you.

Bill Arnold

11 Replies 11

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @tucsonbil, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

From what you've written, it appears you're not running the beta version of the app, since it states XXX.4.XXX. 

To install the beta version, visit this page and switch ‘Early releases’ to On. Afterwards, re-download the app from here.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tucsonbil
Explorer | Level 3

Jay:

Thank you for your response.

I did have the beta release option checked. And the link the download page that was in your response looped me back to my dropbox homepage (no download link). I messaged Dropbox while fiddling around there and they gave me a link - so, I downloaded another desktop client and fired that up. It shows version XXX.3.XXXX ... and the icon shows the "sync" circle ... which is what it's (trying) to do ... for hours now. I still think something isn't correct ... What do you think?

Bill

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @tucsonbil, sorry to jump in here. I hope you're doing well!

How long has this been going on? 

Also, if you hover your mouse over your little Dropbox icon next to your WiFi, do you see a specific number of files being synced? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

tucsonbil
Explorer | Level 3

Everything was fine until I migrated to the new Silicon Mac.

It's been a fight ever since (a couple of weeks now).

Most of the time the icon in the strip along the top of the screen shows the little sync circle (as in hours and hours and hours). Then it bombs .. the latest was a message "Dropbox cannot start" "Dropbox ran into a connection issue" and the "Get Help" button then takes me to "dropbox.okta.com" and demands an "Employee Sign In" ...  I think I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Bill

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @tucsonbil, how are you today? 

Does this still happen on your end? 

If yes, can I reach out via email, in order for us to have a closer look as to what might be causing it? 

Thanks a lot! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

tucsonbil
Explorer | Level 3

Megan:

Thanks for checking back ... Dropbox icon appears/disappears/reappears (it's immediately to the right of the new blacked-out area around the camera). 141.3.3144 says "starting" then "can't sync" and then bombs ... repeatedly.  "Dropbox unexpectedly quit" message window. I gave up after 5 attempts.

Bill Arnold

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @tucsonbil, thanks for the heads up! 

Just sent you an email, I'd be happy to continue troubleshooting there. 

Cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Tom H.
Super User

Hey folks,

I'm having much the same trouble using the beta on my M1 Mac, macOS 13.2. * Please note this is not the account that has the installation trouble. This is my community account and has been for many years.

I can provide the other account if needed via email. I have verified that early releases is enabled and I have redownloaded the client on two separate occasions this evening. This appears to be trouble starting during start up only. If I manually run the application it continues to run and works fine that I can see. My app preferences confirm I am on the beta as it provides the button to leave the beta. At present it's a minor annoyance to me. Not an overly large issue, but I'm looking to prevent it from becoming one. The startup error logs to a .txt file if that helps? I can provide it via email if desired. 

Any help appreciated, 

Tom H. (long time superuser ;))

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Tom H., thanks for your comment and sorry to see you're having trouble with this.

Can you please click on the blue hyperlink on the error message, and send us a screenshot of the error log in your next reply, so we can look into this?

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Tom H. Super User
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?