cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't switch to online only

Can't switch to online only

ajbentley
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've got a file that's pretty big and I've put it up to dropbox with selective sync. The original version of the file is on an external hard drive. When I switched the dropbox folder to online only (click the grey cloud) it doesn't switch and it has now downloaded the contents of the folder onto this machine and it's taking up all of my space.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joshua

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @ajbentley - sorry to hear about this; let's take a look now.

When using Selective Sync, and choosing to sync a folder you had previously excluded on the desktop client, you may notice the files appearing with a grey cloud icon beside them. This means that the files are ‘online-only’. You can see and interact with these files as normal, but they take up practically no space on your computer.

Through our Smart Sync feature you now have greater control and can sync only the folders or files you need by right clicking, choosing Smart Sync and then selecting 'Local'. This helps optimize your hard disk usage.

Once we have returned these 'online-only' files/folders through Selective Sync you can now see the files and folders and then proceed with re-downloading only the content you need and want.

If a file has been synced locally that you would prefer to have online-only, simply right click on it and select online-only from the Smart Sync menu.

Let me know how this goes Joshua.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @ajbentley - sorry to hear about this; let's take a look now.

When using Selective Sync, and choosing to sync a folder you had previously excluded on the desktop client, you may notice the files appearing with a grey cloud icon beside them. This means that the files are ‘online-only’. You can see and interact with these files as normal, but they take up practically no space on your computer.

Through our Smart Sync feature you now have greater control and can sync only the folders or files you need by right clicking, choosing Smart Sync and then selecting 'Local'. This helps optimize your hard disk usage.

Once we have returned these 'online-only' files/folders through Selective Sync you can now see the files and folders and then proceed with re-downloading only the content you need and want.

If a file has been synced locally that you would prefer to have online-only, simply right click on it and select online-only from the Smart Sync menu.

Let me know how this goes Joshua.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

thedragan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I tried right-clicking and selecting "Online Only"... nothing changes 😕

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @thedragan

Could you send me a screenshot of this and the exact status of the desktop app so I can investigate further?

Spoiler

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tinkerman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same problem, what's the answer???

VRGTNE
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Was this problem ever solved? Because I am having the same problem...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It would be best to describe the exact problem as it relates to you. Saying "same problem" isn't always accurate because your configuration may be different from the original author. For instance, the original author is talking about using Selective Sync, Smart Sync and an external drive.

What, exactly, is the problem you're having?

Peter S.106
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem.  On my MacBook Pro when I select "Online Only" for a folder or file in Selective Sync, the icon changes to the blue circle with the arrows, to show that it is loading or thinking.  Then after that it goes to "Local".  I've checked and the Dropbox extension is installed without any problems.  I clicked on some large folders to go "Online Only" that had some files that were already "Online Only" and some that weren't.  The trouble is they all seem to be going to "Local" and right now the drive is filling up and is close to be critically full.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Peter S.106, I just wanted to follow up and check if you're still having trouble with selecting content to be Smart Synced on your computer. 

If you are, could you please let me know what you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock and, if possible, send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of it?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Roth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot use the on-line only feature.  I go to the app, right click, hover over smartsync, select online only.... nothing happens.  Reverts back to Local.

Need more support?