cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update Dropbox for Windows 7

Can't update Dropbox for Windows 7

H157
Helpful | Level 5

Every time I run dropbox, it tells me to update it on my main PC, a windows 7 machine. When I download the update and run it, i get an error message everytime. Can anyone help please?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't update Dropbox for Windows 7

H157
Helpful | Level 5

Hi L

I've fixed it. I restated in SAFE mode and updated from within there twice, so am now running 64.4.141

This seems to work at the moment so I'm guessing the error code was my windows not Dropbox.

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @H157

As a first step, could you please ensure that you’re running the latest stable version of the desktop app by hovering over your Dropbox icon (that should be next to your desktop’s clock)? 

You also mention:

@H157 wrote:

it tells me to update it on my main PC

Could you please clarify a bit more on this? Do you by any chance have your Dropbox folder located on an external hard drive?

If you’re still having trouble with this, could you please send me a screenshot (excluding personal info) of the error message that you’re seeing? Any additional details would also be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

H157
Helpful | Level 5

many thanks for your prompt response. The version at the bottom is 57.4.89

Trying to upload the error message but this page won't let me, so the error code is:

Dropbox Update Installation failed with error 0x80004002

My dropbox is not on my C drive, but on another internal hard drive,

thank you

H157
Helpful | Level 5

Also, I've noticed when I'm asked to update or exit dropbox on start, if I try to update then have to close the dialog box with the error message, my dropbox won't sync. It says connecting, then trying to upload xxxx files etc but doesn't seem to connect.

Not sure if this of any use either.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for your prompt reply, @H157, and for the additional details - awesome work!

I did a bit of browsing about and found that the error you’re seeing may be unrelated to the desktop app. For this reason, I’d kindly recommend having a look around the internet and if you’re still experiencing trouble with this, don’t hesitate to get back to me and I’d be more than happy to help you out as best as I can. 

Let me know how it goes. :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

H157
Helpful | Level 5

Hi L

I've fixed it. I restated in SAFE mode and updated from within there twice, so am now running 64.4.141

This seems to work at the moment so I'm guessing the error code was my windows not Dropbox.

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @H157! I’m glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end. :grinning:

If you have any other questions in the future, just give me a shout and, in the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    H157 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?