cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update to new shared workspace (2021 edition)

Can't update to new shared workspace (2021 edition)

nicolasnoakes
Explorer | Level 3

I had the exact problem described in the locked thread with the same title. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Can't update to new shared workspace (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Cant-updated-to-new-shared-workspace/td-p/3164...)

I had a personal Dropbox account and was invited to join a shared business workspace. I chose the option to combine accounts (because the installer assumes that your existing account must become the business one and you should create a new personal account. There is no offer to do it the other way around!)

But the installation process stops with a message box titled "Can't sync Dropbox account" and content like "Your account can't be updated to the new *** shared workspace. To continue syncing your Dropbox account, Close the following files or folders;

C\Users\[username]\Dropbox\". The details box just says "Couldn't rename C:\Users\[username]\Dropbox\".

I had nothing open from my Dropbox folder, and I was not in the mood for unlinking accounts and re-syncing, etc. It sounded like a horror story for any that went down that road.

The solution: Close all programs, exit your anti-virus software, then click the re-try button and voila it works! (My anti-virus is Trend Micro Maximum Security)

I hope this helps someone else.

1 Reply 1

Re: Can't update to new shared workspace (2021 edition)

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @nicolasnoakes, thanks for posting on the Community!

It does sound like the anti-virus software was monitoring the Dropbox folder, preventing any changes to the folder itself, so that's why quitting the software helped.

We appreciate your comments and believe this will help other users with similar issues.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?