cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't use C: as location for Dropbox folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am trying to install Dropbox on a Mac that runs Windows 7 via bootcamp, and I only need to access those files in Windows. I have designated "BOOTCAMP (C" as the location for the Dropbox folder (C:\Dropbox), but Dropbox automatically moves the folder to the folder associated with my username (C:\Users\username\Dropbox).

This is a problem for me because I run Dropbox on several computers with different usernames (some are for work and not selected by me), so if I leave the Dropbox folder in its present location, certain locally hosted programs cannot locate relevant files.

I have checked to make sure that the "BOOTCAMP (C" folder has enough space, which it does, so I am not sure what is preventing me from installing the Dropbox folder there. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't use C: as location for Dropbox folder

Super User II
Super User II

While Dropbox will default to the Users path during install, it won't automatically move the Dropbox folder back there if you relocate it, and you can certainly specify C:\ for your Dropbox folder.

If you're using the option in Dropbox Preferences to move the Dropbox folder to C:\ and it's automatically being moved back to the Users path, then there's likely something else doing it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

While Dropbox will default to the Users path during install, it won't automatically move the Dropbox folder back there if you relocate it, and you can certainly specify C:\ for your Dropbox folder.

If you're using the option in Dropbox Preferences to move the Dropbox folder to C:\ and it's automatically being moved back to the Users path, then there's likely something else doing it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the prompt clarification. In case anyone else runs into this problem in the future, I was able to resolve it in the following way:

I first installed Dropbox to the username folder, choosing to sync only one folder via "selective sync". I then moved that folder to the C: folder before syncing the rest. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?