cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't view a shared file from Dropbox

Can't view a shared file from Dropbox

urbanapple
Explorer | Level 3

I was sent a Dropbox file to view as an email attachment.  Dropbox came preloaded on my laptop (windows 10, MS Edge) but I have never used it.   

I tried both opening the file (when it asked which program to open, I chose Edge) and downloading the file then opening, but I come up with a blank screen document only.  I tried another program to open and got this :

=SLOW_FRAME_THRESHOLD?0:n<=FAST_FRAME_THRESHOLD?1:(SLOW_FRAME_THRESHOLD-n)/(SLOW_FRAME_THRESHOLD-FAST_FRAME_THRESHOLD);var i=n*(1-o);e.forceUpdate&&i<e.currentCPUSpan&&(i=Math.min(n,e.currentCPUSpan)),this.busyCPUTime+=i,this.idleCPUTime+=n-i,e.forceUpdate||(this.requestID=requestAnimationFrame(function(){t.updateCPUTimes()}))},e.prototype.stop=function(){null!==this.requestID&&(console.timeStamp&&console.timeStamp("cpu_idle_tracking_stopped"),cancelAnimationFrame(this.requestID),this.requestID=null)},e.prototype.getIdleCPUTime=function(){return

So, I tried to open dropbox in control panel and got this message: Windows cannot find

'C;\users\myname\appdata\roaming\microsoft\internetexplorer\quicklaunch\userpinned\taskbar\dropbox25 gb.ink'

The icon is on my taskbar, but this message appears whether I click there or from start menu.  

So I tried to uninstall (in order to re-install) and the program will not uninstall: "uninstall failed"

I tried the suggestions in this post but got the same results: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Can-t-view-a-shared-file-from-Dropbox/m-p/302269...

Any ideas?  I want to have dropbox installed and functional

2 Replies 2

Re: Can't view a shared file from Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

@urbanapple wrote:

I tried both opening the file (when it asked which program to open, I chose Edge) and downloading the file then opening, but I come up with a blank screen document only. 

If the file was an email attachment, you don't need Dropbox. You need to open the file in whatever application it's meant for. Opening it in random applications might get you lucky, but it likely won't work.

What type of file is it? What is the file's extension?

Re: Can't view a shared file from Dropbox

urbanapple
Explorer | Level 3

Hi and thanks for responding.  The file says dropbox.html

I apologise for the delay in responding to you.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?