cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't view work files unless I download them on my home computer drop box

Can't view work files unless I download them on my home computer drop box

Joe519819
Explorer | Level 3

My company has a 1TB dropbox account. I use the files all the time. When I'm at my work computer (that doesn't have dropbox app installed) I'm able to view and download specific files. But on my home compupter (which DOES have my personal drop box,) the only option I see is to add them to my personal dropbox.  I don't want those files in my dropbox. I just want to download the files to my computer like I do at work. Any way I can do this other than delete my personal dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't view work files unless I download them on my home computer drop box

Jay
Dropboxer
Hey Joe, I think there would have been a solution to this without removing your personal account.

The first step would be, how were you accessing the work Dropbox account from your home? It sounds like you might have shared a folder to your personal, hence the 'Remove my access' prompt you had.

Were you logging into the website directly to the work account? If so, you would have had the option to navigate your folders like you did at work. Make sure that you weren't originally logged into your personal account on the website at home.

Once you're on the site and signed into your work account, you would have been able to download files as normal.

Let me know if you need any assistance on this!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
When viewing the files you should be able to click on the [...] next to the edge of the page which will give you options about downloading.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Joe519819
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for you're reply. When I click on [...] the only thing that comes up is "Remove my access" in red. When I click share it says "you don't have enough room - Try upgrading".  On my work computer I click on the folder and see all the sub directories as it was set up. Can't do that on my home computer.

Mark
Super User II
You cant see the other directories because you are using a shared link - so you are not logging in to the account you are viewing only a part of it that has the link generated.

If you want to see more you need a link generated to the other parts of the account.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Joe519819
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks again but maybe I'm not being clear. I will go into work tomorrow and at my Windows 7 computer with no dropbox app on it, I'll use the exact same email address and password and see all the files in the "3" folders like I always have. On my Mac at home, I can't. I makes me download the files to my personal account. I guess I'll just have to delete my personal account and hope for the best.

Joe519819
Explorer | Level 3

Ok, So I deteled the app from my home Mac computer, rebooted and now I can see all the files. What a strange way to run a company. Now I don't have my personal dropbox anymore but at least I can work.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hey Joe, I think there would have been a solution to this without removing your personal account.

The first step would be, how were you accessing the work Dropbox account from your home? It sounds like you might have shared a folder to your personal, hence the 'Remove my access' prompt you had.

Were you logging into the website directly to the work account? If so, you would have had the option to navigate your folders like you did at work. Make sure that you weren't originally logged into your personal account on the website at home.

Once you're on the site and signed into your work account, you would have been able to download files as normal.

Let me know if you need any assistance on this!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Joe519819 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?