cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have offline folders on our mobile devices?

Re: Offline Folders

Louie B.1
New member | Level 1

Just Go here ---  https://zapier.com/blog/dropbox-hidden-features/

Great Advanced tips for dropbox

really helpful

Thanks , 🙂

Rich
Super User II

@Chad: I thought I used to have this feature until a recent update??!?!

No, that feature never existed.

@Louie:

Your posts keep getting flagged as spam. I suspect it's because of your architectural tag line that you're adding to each one (which I've removed again).

Joseph C.20
New member | Level 2

Yeah I tried individually marking my work files for use offline. With hundreds of files, that was about an hour of my life that I'll never get back. I'm NOT going to keep doing that every two weeks when my work files change out. I need to mark folders as offline.

Can anyone do me a favor and explain the logistic or technological challenge of implementing this? Because I am baffled. Is it really just a concern for not taking up too much space in our mobile devices? Because I have a 256GB iPad Pro. I'm not too concerned about storage.

Mark B.27
New member | Level 1

Yes, I'd love to see this as well. Seems like a no-brainer.

Doc A.1
Helpful | Level 5

I use both Dropbox and Sugar Sync since each has its advantage.  I have both clouds synced via cloudhq.net. 

SugarSync allows offline FOLDERS on iPad.  Today I tried to do this with Dropbox but it only allows individuals files to be selected for offline use and NOT Folders unless I am missing something.  It would look like a mess if I had hundreds of individual files syncing offline and not organized neatly in folders

You can access all of your Dropbox files by syncing cloud to cloud via cloudhg.net to SugarSync then designating an entire FOLDER in SugarSync to be available offline. 

SugarSync is tricky when you have multiple devices syncing to one SugarSync account.  You would only choose ONE device to sync via cloudhq and NOT your entire SugarSync cloud. 

Mark
Super User II

It is coming to Dropbox!

Its called Project Infinity but at the moment we dont know who it is going to be available to (Business/Pro/free etc.) nor do we know when. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Miles B.1
New member | Level 1

Hi Mark Mc,

Glad to hear that the offline folders feature is on its way.I do a lot of work on rural sites in Africa where there is limited connectivity and being able drop all the necessary files into an 'offline folder' on my mobile devices before leaving on my trips will make my work that much more efficient. 

I have been thinking about information security and how this would work with the offline folders and have a question in this regard. My Android device has a fingerprint login system but if it gets lost or stolen someone can easily remove the SD card and access all the information thereon. Because of this, I intend on encrypting all the files on my external memory such that they can only be opened by my device (i.e fingerprint/password access). Can dropbox mobile function with encrypted files? My concern is that I may no longer be able to open the files on my computer if they are put into an 'offline folder', downloaded onto my phone, encrypted and then subsequently uploaded/synced to dropbox again.

Hope my query makes sense. 

Rich
Super User II

Mark is actually talking about a different feature. Project Infinite is a desktop feature that allows people to open files directly from Dropbox without them being synced to the computer. In affect, it's an offline folder, but not the type of offline folder you're looking for in this thread.

There has been no announcement recently that offline folders would be coming to mobile devices.

Can dropbox mobile function with encrypted files?

Probably not.

Jason A.20
New member | Level 1

Simple question : why not?

I'm a paid subscriber to Dropbox and need this functionality when on the move (it annoys me that the Silicon Valley companies all assume omnipresent Internet when it doesn't exist outside of their development environments!) 

i am searching for alternatives and don't understand why road maps and target dates can't be published (like in the real world)

Ed
Dropboxer

Hi all!

Fear not, I bring great news!

Mobile offline folders is now available on Android and iOS (actually just being released on iOS as we speak).

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ed Dropboxer
    Jason A.20 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Miles B.1 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?