cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you install software via exe file from Dropbox to my Windows 10 PC?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can you install software via exe file from Dropbox to my Windows 10 PC?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @tinem,

I'm not really sure can understand what exactly you ask for. 🤔

@tinem wrote:

But now after a hardisk crasch and a new put in my PC I will try to figure out how to use Dropbox so not ALL my files, photos and all my mails from Thunderbird are lost. :-(

Any files you want to share, sync, or just keep as a backup (including photos) can be moved in the Dropbox folder and they will get in sync to the Dropbox cloud automatically (up to your plan capacity, of course). Next the files will get in sync with all other connected devices, if any.

About your mails (from Thunderbird or any other mail client), they should still be available on the mail server, if not explicitly removed. So check out there. 😉 If you mean downloaded file attachments, the above (move to Dropbox folder) is valid for the attachments too (same is valid for any other file type).

@tinem wrote:

So I don't need to copy .exe file to my Windows 10 before I install the program from this .exe file?

Here you beat me out! 🙆 I have no idea how you can install some application without access to corresponding install package (for Windows they are an installing .exe or .msi). Of course experienced user could install an application by hand, but I'm guessing that's not what you are looking for. After a program gets installed the installing .exe file will no more  be needed! The .exe is needed to start the installation. Here I assume (it's not explicitly pointed) you're talking about installation package (.exe file) keept in Dropbox. It's not possible to install this application before the installer gets into your machine (somehow).

If I have misunderstood something or have made wrong assumptions, please clarify.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Hi @tinem,

Hopefully you can. 😉 Everybody, you have granted access to on your PC, if any, would be able too. Nobody else should be able install anything, until your computer gets hacked/hijacked somehow. 🙂 So be careful.

Good luck.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your reply.
I have paid for Dropbox for many years and have 2 TB but until now have only used it for a family member to share photos from our family and a couple og my own files included videos.
But now after a hardisk crasch and a new put in my PC I will try to figure out how to use Dropbox so not ALL my files, photos and all my mails from Thunderbird are lost. :-(

So I don't need to copy .exe file to my Windows 10 before I install the program from this .exe file?

Highlighted

Hi @tinem,

I'm not really sure can understand what exactly you ask for. 🤔

@tinem wrote:

Any files you want to share, sync, or just keep as a backup (including photos) can be moved in the Dropbox folder and they will get in sync to the Dropbox cloud automatically (up to your plan capacity, of course). Next the files will get in sync with all other connected devices, if any.

About your mails (from Thunderbird or any other mail client), they should still be available on the mail server, if not explicitly removed. So check out there. 😉 If you mean downloaded file attachments, the above (move to Dropbox folder) is valid for the attachments too (same is valid for any other file type).

@tinem wrote:

Here you beat me out! 🙆 I have no idea how you can install some application without access to corresponding install package (for Windows they are an installing .exe or .msi). Of course experienced user could install an application by hand, but I'm guessing that's not what you are looking for. After a program gets installed the installing .exe file will no more  be needed! The .exe is needed to start the installation. Here I assume (it's not explicitly pointed) you're talking about installation package (.exe file) keept in Dropbox. It's not possible to install this application before the installer gets into your machine (somehow).

If I have misunderstood something or have made wrong assumptions, please clarify.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?