cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you remove the space in the dropbox folder name ("Dropbox (Company-Name)")?

Can you remove the space in the dropbox folder name ("Dropbox (Company-Name)")?

Vincent M.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm using my companies business dropbox account. And it created a folder called "Dropbox (my companies name here)".

Is there a way to remove the space between "Dropbox" and "("? I don't want to have a space in the path. So the folder name will become "Dropbox-Company" or "Dropbox_Company" or something, but not space.

It seems impossible.

138 Replies 138

Divya B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The space causing my scripts to fail -- please address.  Like Dawn, I too would actually like to use my business account for its intended purpose!  I now have to copy my entire DATA directory OUT of dropbox, just to be able to do my analysis.  Defeats purpose of having dropbox for me... Thanks!

Sawyer W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Drew Houston...mandating spaces and parens in a directory name is just downright disrespectful to anyone writing code.

Patrick G.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Seriously. This causes us so many unnecessary problems.  

joseP
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

They can't just change it by default because it would affect many users who don't care about this. The solution here is to allow us to modify the name of the folder. Based on how other programs work I'd say separating "Location" and "Folder Name" would be fine...

Default: C:/Users/<Username>

Folder Name

Default: Dropbox (<Personal, Work, Other>)

I think this is a big issue but it's been more than a year now since this was posted...

donohoe
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Adding my +1 for fixing this problem.

I'm pretty shocked that this is something Dropbox went ahead with in the 1st instance. I'm going to try the symlink work-around mentioned here, but otherwise it just rendered my corproate account pointless.

Can't. Believe. They. Did. This.

BirthdayGuy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot use Dropbox for software development if I try to connect two accounts, say a personal and a business account. This is because for some reason Dropbox demands to use a space in the forced folder name "Dropbox (Personal)" or "Dropbox (Business)". The software I use, which millions of developers use, QT.IO cannot accept a space in the foldername and I cannot change it myself as far as I can tell. So I have to revert to a single account with a folder named "Dropbox."

How about "Dropbox-Personal" and "Dropbox-Business" instead? Or let us decide, or make it easier to tell us how to change it if it can be changed now...

Fil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I still have the same prolbem. My scripts don't work! What can I do on linux?

burcsade
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It has been 1.5 years and the problem still persists. Fixing this should not be so hard, eh? It's really frustrating when an application forces you to a specific pattern/naming/setting.

danv13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The choice of the folder name for my Dropbox files should be MY choice and not anybody else's.  Forcing someone else's standards or preferences on me is archaic and obnoxious.  The same applies to the horrible "Program Files (x86)".  I don't care what you call the folder on your side, but on my system I decide.

I am glad I read this before I tried Dropbox for Business.  I will now advise all my clients to look for other alternatives until users are allowed to rename all of their folders at will.

They can send a man to the moon, but they can't let ... oh wait, they can't send a man to the moon anymore :slight_frown:

d78577e41953
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey team,

I also vote for this feature - it's really invonvenient to be stuck with that space in the directory name. Come on, let us choose the directory name, is it that hard?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

shinbeth Experienced | Level 13
    chrisleathers Helpful | Level 5
    cjrhoads Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?