Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Access Files I haven't Accessed Before But Can Access Files I have Accessed Before

andrewwebster New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

The firm I work for uses Dropbox to store our case files. I have had no trouble accessing files to this point. 

Today, suddenly, I am no longer able to access files that I have not previously accessed. But I can access any file that I have accessed in the past. 

This is only true of the desktop app. I can access files via the web app.

An example: Let's say I opened a Word document yesterday or last month. I am still able to gain access to that file. However, if I try to open a Word document that I have not opened previously, I cannot open it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot Access Files I haven't Accessed Before But Can Access Files I have Accessed Before

scourtney
Helpful | Level 6
8 Replies 8

Re: Cannot Access Files I haven't Accessed Before But Can Access Files I have Accessed Before

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Andrew, what error message are you specifically getting?

Could you attach a screenshot of it for us to assist further? Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

austinjonescorp New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

An employee at my firm has the same issue after this morning's Windows 10 update.  We use Smart Sync.  Unlinking, uninstalling, and reinstalling the Dropbox desktop app did not solve the problem, even after deletion of all "synced" files.  Here is an example error message (file name removed):

"Excel cannot open th efile "******.xlsx" because the file format  or file extension is not valid.  Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

New member | Level 2

I get the message that the commenter above gets for Excel. I get a different message for each type of application (Adobe and Word are the only ones I know for sure, because these are the three primary types of files that work with). 

Adobe: "There was an error opening this document. The file cannot be accessed by the system."

Word: "Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt. Try one or more of the following: *Open and repair the file. *Open the file with the Text Recovery converter."

scourtney
Helpful | Level 6

eecummings New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue. I can't open any type of file (Office, photos, video) from the Dropbox app. I get a different error message with each, as well, including some related to firewall and some related to the files being corrupted.  Desperate for help!

arod New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue in my company

mjain New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue as well . 

New member | Level 2

That thread is much more detailed and it says they're opening an investigation. I'd follow that thread for updates.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?