cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect device for Dropbox Passwords (Pixel & MacBook pro)

Cannot Connect device for Dropbox Passwords (Pixel & MacBook pro)

evhen14
Helpful | Level 5

When I try to connect my Drobox Passwords on my phone (Pixel 3 latest stable OS version) to my MacBook Pro 2019 (also latest stable OS, Big Sur ) the process gets stuck.

From the desktop application it does send a request to the phone and on the phone I confirm that connection with 'Connect' button. After that it says 'All Connected' "Username's MacBook Pro" is now connected to your account. However, on the MacBook it is stuck with the following screen:

evhen14_0-1613985656488.png

I tried to re-install the app and to reboot the computer. Those measures didn't help. 

The recovery keys also didn't work

36 Replies 36

Re: Cannot Connect device for Dropbox Passwords (Pixel & MacBook pro)

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @evhen14, let's see what we can do here. 

Do you have any third party apps, like security or antivirus apps, running that could be hindering this process?

Could you also confirm which version of the desktop app and mobile app you have installed? 

Give me a nudge whenever you have the chance to check this out, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Derek O.3
Explorer | Level 4

Im having the exact same issue, I'm using the latest Mac and iOS apps as I only installed them today.

I also turned of my AV (BitDefender) and it made no difference, DP just sits there "waiting for permission to connect" despite permissions having been granted on my iPhone via the pop-up dialogue.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @Derek O.3; thanks for using Dropbox Passwords and sorry to hear about this. 

Have you tried rebooting your devices and installing the Passwords apps on your devices anew?

Maybe that will do the trick!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

evhen14
Helpful | Level 5

I've tried to reboot my devices. Also turned off the firewall, uninstalled some software that was related to network traffic (e.g. iStat menu, VPN Client).

The interesting part is that using Recovery Words also doesn't work.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Have you reached out to our Support team through this page by any chance, so that they can look a bit more in-depth with you?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Passwords - I'm stuck on "Check your other device for a notification"

gmarques
Helpful | Level 5

As title says, I have succesfully installed dropbox passwords on my Huwaei P40 pro (no google services, but no warning about depending on those either) and now trying to install it in my macbook I get stuck on "Check your other device for a notification". I don't seem to receive the notification.

I've also tried recovering with recovery codes but the mac app doesn't do anything after I press "continue" on the 12 word recovery form - It shows the "getting accounts" dialog which autocloses but then doesn't do anything more.

gsouthern_
Helpful | Level 6

I have the same issue (with Macbook Pro).  I just opened a ticket but since it is weekend I was also searching to see if there was any information about the problem. It's unfortunate there is so little troubleshooting information available in the app.

gsouthern_
Helpful | Level 6

I deleted my account using the "Reset account" option on my phone and then started over creating the account on my Macbook first instead of my phone first.  This worked for me, can't say for sure if it would help others or not.  Hopefully Dropbox will fix whatever bug causes this problem eventually.

gmarques
Helpful | Level 5

gsouthern_ this doesn't work for me - this time is the android device that gets stuck on "waiting for permission to connect.." loading

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?