cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Drag and drop files into folders

Cannot Drag and drop files into folders

Jonzo123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, until today, I could easily select 1 or more files (in this case jpeg) and drag them into a sub forlder.  Now I when I try to drag the files into the folder it won't let me drop them there, just hovering above the folder.  This is incredibly frustrating as I've been dragging and dropping files into subfolders for months and now suddenly I can't do it.  I need to do this for work.  

I use both mac and windows (via VM ware)  Until yesterday I could drag and drop on either operating system and now I can't on either.  

Someone please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
The Home page is just a listing of your most recently used files from your entire account. Files and folders don't actually reside there. It only shows you the activity on your account. The Move and Copy options are only available while on the Files page, which is the actual listing of all your files and folders.

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jonzo123 wrote:

I use both mac and windows (via VM ware)  Until yesterday I could drag and drop on either operating system and now I can't on either.

Are you referring to the folders on your computers, or while using the Dropbox website? If you're doing this with the folders on your computer, then Dropbox has nothing to do with that process. It's controlled entirely by your operating system. If it's the website, please explain exactly what you're doing, which browser you're using, and any messages you receive in the process.

Jonzo123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using my computer.  I am uing the dropbox website. I have tried on 3 different browers to no avail.  

Scenario:  I have folder JOBS.  Inside Jobs folder is another folder A and 10 JPEG pictures.  Until today I could select any number of the jpeg's and drag them into folder A without having to use the "move files" tab and scrolling through several dropdowns.  I could just drag and drop those pictures into the folder.  As of today I cannot do that.  When I select the files and drag them to the folder, they cannot be dropped into a folder anymore.  Literally I have done nothing different, not installed, deleted, updated or chnaged anything on my end.  There is no error message.  When I drag the file, the file name moves with the curser, but cannot be dropped into the file.  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
It's probably just another change to the website. I'm not able to drag files into folders either. I either have to open the folder and drag files into it from the computer, or use the Move function on the website if I'm dealing with a file that's already in Dropbox.

Dropbox continues to update the site in the name of improvements, but things just keep getting worse.

Jonzo123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the help Rich.  I spoke to a customer service rep from drobox who told me essentially he thinks I'm lying and that you could never just drag a file to a folder without going through the "move" tab.  I've literally been doing this for the past 2 years almost every day for work.  The program is called Dropbox and you can't perform the simplist drag and drop from one file into a folder?  That's some irony right there.  

All good, I'll just do it through another means.  

Appreciate the help again!

Laura K.2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same issue here and have been doing this for years. Very frustrating to have to open every single folder to drag someting into it now instead of hovering over the folder and being able to add the item. This is a total time-kill. Really hating every DB "upgrade" as it just seems to make things more difficult, not less. Ugh.

markgpeitzmeier
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue here  Very frustrating 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
I just heard back from DB and this appears to be a bug. They're looking into it. If I hear anything new I'll post again.

Radiance
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey, this sounds a little bit like something has occurre that has somehow made your dropbox folder Read-only on your system? Are you able to achieve the equivelant of the drage and drop by selecting the files or folders you want to copy first, pressing ctrl+c (cmd+c on mac) and then trying to paste them in to the dropbox folders you want by hitting ctrl+v (cmd +v on mac)?

I'm suggesting this only so we can see whether or not any kind of of copying in to the folder will work, not trying to suggest you shouldn't be able to drag and drop if you want to. If the above suggestion doesn't work, that would seem to suggest that there is indeed a permissions issue going on which could help identify a solution.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
This refers the the Dropbox website, and not the Dropbox folder on a computer.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Kelfischer New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?