cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Drag and drop files into folders

Cannot Drag and drop files into folders

Jonzo123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, until today, I could easily select 1 or more files (in this case jpeg) and drag them into a sub forlder.  Now I when I try to drag the files into the folder it won't let me drop them there, just hovering above the folder.  This is incredibly frustrating as I've been dragging and dropping files into subfolders for months and now suddenly I can't do it.  I need to do this for work.  

I use both mac and windows (via VM ware)  Until yesterday I could drag and drop on either operating system and now I can't on either.  

Someone please help!

32 Replies 32

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all,

As Rich mentioned above, this change on our website to drag and drop functionality is a bug and not an intentional change. We've identified the problem and should be pushing a fix for it later today. 

Thanks everyone for flagging this one, and apologies for the inconvenience caused!

Thanks,

Frank

RTorke
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue but don't even see a "move" button or tool. I'm astonished. I just started working in office that uses DropBox for everything and their folders are a hornet's nest. I've been given admin rights and still can't move any documents or folders. The only options in front of me are "download," "delete," "comment" or "version history. 

It's extremely frustrating. I certainly don't have time to download all these large files to my desktop and then upload them back to the DropBox website and such a workflow would be insane.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @RTorke. Welcome to our community! 

When you view your files and folders in list view on our site, you can select the files you wish to move by checking the box next to their name, on the left. Once you have made a selection, the Move button will appear on the right of the page :wink:

I hope this helps. If I have misunderstood your post, by all means, let me know, and I’ll be happy to take another look. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

_SARGE_
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Unfortuneately it seems that the FILES section are actually only FOLDERS that contain files. I uploaded several jpeg files and mp4 files that were not in a folder and now I cannot move them into a FILE. I literally would have to upload them again in a FOLDER. PLEASE GET THIS FIXED.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@_SARGE_ wrote:

Unfortuneately it seems that the FILES section are actually only FOLDERS that contain files.

That is not true. The Files page shows all of the items in the root of your Dropbox folder, and that includes any files that were not uploaded to a specific sub-folder.

b0565c401b1ef792ebe899aff6b59b50.png

I literally would have to upload them again in a FOLDER. PLEASE GET THIS FIXED.

There's nothing to fix here as files can easily be moved into a folder. You just select the files by checking the box to the left of each file, and then select the Move option from the menu on the right.

8955cd823fe35c4b63b9cea2d86d8d70.png

If you're unable to do so, you're likely in the wrong area or are doing something wrong. Can you take a screenshot showing the options available to you when you try to move these files?

RTorke
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm in the same boat with Rich. There are no boxes to the left of my folders or documents. All I can do is click on the three dots to the right where this dropdown of options appears: download, comment, delete or version history. That's it. There's no option to move anything.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Guys ( @RTorke & @_SARGE_), please provide a fullscreen screenshot so we can see what you’re seeing. Remember to omit any personal or private information. 

Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

RTorke
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Update: It's the home page that's the issue. In the Files area I can move the docs as you suggested. 

RTorke
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screenshot_DropboxHome.png

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
The Home page is just a listing of your most recently used files from your entire account. Files and folders don't actually reside there. It only shows you the activity on your account. The Move and Copy options are only available while on the Files page, which is the actual listing of all your files and folders.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Kelfischer New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?