cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Drag and drop files into folders

Cannot Drag and drop files into folders

Jonzo123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, until today, I could easily select 1 or more files (in this case jpeg) and drag them into a sub forlder.  Now I when I try to drag the files into the folder it won't let me drop them there, just hovering above the folder.  This is incredibly frustrating as I've been dragging and dropping files into subfolders for months and now suddenly I can't do it.  I need to do this for work.  

I use both mac and windows (via VM ware)  Until yesterday I could drag and drop on either operating system and now I can't on either.  

Someone please help!

32 Replies 32

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thank you, @RTorke

Indeed, that explains it! As Rich says, this is normal, expected behavior. 

Have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Tata84
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Tata84

Do you have a comment or question that I can help with? :thinking:

Let me know.
Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

RonRenaud
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm experiencing the same thing! After years of easy drag and drops.

Kelfischer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What's the fix?  I just got a new MacBook air and can't drag and drop within Dropbox. Help! 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
But where Kelsfischer. We need more info as this thread relates to about 3 different things - the type of computer you are using is irrelevant actually to the initial posting (because its on about 1 specific page on the Dropbox site which doesnt have drag/drop capability).

What is the web page you are trying to do this on or whats the steps you are taking to try and do this?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

RonRenaud
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's not taking the pic.
Screen-Shot-2018-06-02-at-11.07.34-PM.jpeg

RonRenaud
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's not taking the pic.
Screen-Shot-2018-06-02-at-11.07.34-PM.jpeg

Kelfischer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been using dropbox for years, and know how to use it..... all of a sudden I cannot click on a file in Dropbox and drag it anywhere.... can't drag to another file, can't drag to desktop, can't drag to trash.  Can't drag, period.  PS - dragging works everywhere else, just not in dropbox.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Thanks for the grabs.

You have the web page open there Kelfscher, its not designed to have drag and drop capability to the desktop etc. from there. Same as it isnt intended that you can drag from an open program to the web page. You COULD drag the actual file to the web page to upload, however.

To use Drag and Drop you need to be moving files from within the 'Dropbox' folder on your computer (which it doesnt look like you've installed: www.dropbox.com/downloading) as that makes a folder on your machine like all others.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Kelfischer New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?