cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access Dropbox after Windows reinstall

Cannot access Dropbox after Windows reinstall

stickybee
New member | Level 2

HI,

I hope someone here is able to help with a strange problem.

I have had to reinstall Windows due to a major malfunction on my laptop.

But now I cannot sign in to Dropbox as the device is not recognised even though i have kept the device name the same!

I can think of work arounds like deleting, recreating etc but i don't understand why this is even necessary?

Can Dropbox even allow different devices to have the same device name?

Or is Dropbox sensing some other unique identification beyond a physical device like a particular version of Windows or install date?

So confusing.

Hopefully, someone can shed some light.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Re: Cannot access Dropbox after Windows reinstall

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @stickybee,

About:

@stickybee wrote:

Can Dropbox even allow different devices to have the same device name?

Or is Dropbox sensing some other unique identification beyond a physical device like a particular version of Windows or install date?

Authentication mechanism OAuth2 is in use for Dropbox. Dropbox don't really care too much of your device name or anything else similar. Any such information collected is used for display purposes for your convenience, nothing more.

About installing/accessing problem, different things could lead to such effect. You don't mention if some device count restriction apply to your subscription (Basic plan only in fact). If there is, take a look on your currently connected devices and if need make decision what activity on is most appropriate. Another possible reason is an initialization problem. In such a case would be fine to Unlink your account from the application Preferences, Account tab and try reinstall earlier version (this one for example). Choose the offline installer! Before reinstall make sure "Early releases" on the general settings is turned off.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?