cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot change Email (invalid) OR Password (expired)

Cannot change Email (invalid) OR Password (expired)

James S.70
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I no longer have access to the email associated with this account (as the domain has been disabled).

Upon reinstalling my computer, I noticed that my password was expired.

I manged to log into Dropbox via QR code, but I have a problem.

When I try to change my Email Address: Password is expired. Please click this link to reset your password.

Which will promptly send the email to my nonexistent email address.

So, I can't change my email to reset my password nor can I change my password to unexpire it to change my email.

Likewise, I cannot log into https://dropbox.zendesk.com/access/unauthenticated to check the status of my ticket due to my password being expired.

I have sent a ticket with another email, but it resulted in nothing more than an automated response.

In summary:
1) I cannot change my email (invalid)
2) I cannot change my password (expired)
3) I cannot log in to https://dropbox.zendesk.com/ (invalid email / expired password)
4) Using another email results in an automated response (no help)

I would appreciate some help. Thank you.

21 Replies 21

Joona M.
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem.

I have created my account years ago with my university email account.

Now, I cant either change my password(email is not valid anymore) or change email(password has expired).

I use this account every day in my work and therefore its extremely bad if I am not having access to my files.

I did not manage to find any kind of email address or phonenumber to contact dropbox authors.

Please help...

william g.12
New member | Level 1

I am having the same problem. I have acquired 52g of storage space over the years and do not wish to loose it.

pat-d_vas
New member | Level 2
I agree and have the same comment

Kora
Dropboxer

Hi,

In cases like this where you need to re-activate an account you you remember neither password, nor have access to your email account, contacting Dropbox Support is the only way you can get help. There is no other way :wink:

Kora

pat-d_vas
New member | Level 2

But nobody answers from dropbox... I'm sending this message:
Fwd "Dropbox needs a user's help-live chat for basic accounts!!! It's so stressful that we users send mails asking for help and dropbox only answers the PRO accounts! I need to change my mail address related to my account but because dropbox 'forced-expired' my password (which i can't change either), I can do nothing... I don't want to lose my space earned over the years because dropbox now wants me to delete my account!!! Please someone can let me know to my new mail '<snip>' about my password to be unexpired, so I can change my mail and my password?!?!?! Thanks (user from a long while ago)"
I NEED MY PASSWORD TO BE "UNEXPIRED" SO I CAN CHANGE IT AND MY RELATED E-MAIL AS WELL.

Mark
Super User II
How do you expect Dropbox to fund chat channels for people who dont pay though? Same for support requests. It is only reasonable that priority is given to paying customers.

Unfortunately as has been said all you can do is wait on support - and not post your email on here (I've edited it out) unless you wish it to be hacked/spammed.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Isabella
Dropboxer

Hi Joona,

If your password was expired by Dropbox, we will help you get access to your account even if you don't have access to your email account associated with this account. Just write in to Dropbox from another email that you have access to.

You can get hold off Dropbox support.

https://www.dropbox.com/support

p.s. this applies to accounts with expired passwords and not forgotten passwords. 

Hope to hear from you soon

SJ1
New member | Level 2
Hi James, I had exactly the same issue. They "retired" my password for "security" so I then couldn't change my email to my new email when my old email was changed...The reason being "that email address is already taken" — which was me, when a colleague sent me an invitation to my new email address for a folder she wanted to share. Confusing? Ridiculous!
All I kept getting was automated responses and directed to the FAQs (which were very unhelpful).
But, with every auto responder, I got a "happy drop boxing" email! They really need to rethink that one...
I had a paid Pro account. I've cancelled it this morning I've wasted so much time on what would seem to be a very, very simple thing.

SJ1
New member | Level 2
password "expired" not "retired"...
(so angry with the time waste!)
Need more support?