cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot download Dropbox?

Cannot download Dropbox?

Dave 2000
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all.

First apologies for contacting you, I kept following the 'contact us' links, and 'speak to us' links, but alas I got directed not to customer support but to the robot and now the community, not a Dropbox representative in sight?   Apologies if that sounded as if it came from someone who expects to end up with a red brick when asking for a red brick, and not a sort of yellowy orange.

I have been using Dropbox for awhile whist trying different syncing options/office apps and so forth, and think I finally have the correct mix of programs, so I am asking for help with the following.

So the final piece of the puzzle was to use a WIN7 note book, but when trying to download the Dropbox app, everything seems to go well until I press the final 'YES' on the user account control and then nothing, no activity whatsoever.  The download for the setup.exe was there, and the usual process followed to no avail.  So during my activities I remembered that my laptop had a copy but the machine failed, there was a copy on my mobile phone and another on my tablet.  If memory serves me well I am maxed at three copies.  So with the inability to remove the copy from the broken laptop I removed it from the tablet.  Nothing has changed the inability to download remains.

To help proposed helpers I have.

Cleared the internet cache of cookies.

Tried various browsers including Edge and Chrome as per Dropbox recommendations.

As the notebook has a simple and fast reset to factory option this has been used thus ensuring a clean platform.

Tried running the program as an administrator.

Deleting the exe file and repeating the download process.

At the moment I cannot remember what else I have done but the feeling of mouse in a wheel has taken over.

Is there an option somewhere on the main site to check if I the app removed from the tablet has actually happened on the Dropbox server@

Thanks in advance to any that may offer a solution, successful or otherwise.

Dave.

10 Replies 10

Re: Cannot download Dropbox?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @Dave 2000, thanks for reaching out to us here!

For what you mentioned regarding your connected devices, you can check how many connections you have from your security page online here.

If the old laptop is still connected to your account, you can remove it from there by clicking the trash icon to the right of the device entry.

Now for installing the app on the new computer, can you try using the offline installer from here to see if that helps?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dave 2000
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne and thank you for the reply.

I find the area on the site that allowed me to check the amount of devices registered, it showed my mobile but not the laptop?  So in other words I have just the mobile registered.

So I moved to the Offline installer and exactly the same thing happened, the installer started up and the usual process of, the computer security check and the user account control but were pressed and nothing.  The screen flickers just the one as if something is about to happen but them nothing.  I have never seen this happen with any program of late, the compter works fine in all other respects.

Thanks again, if you or any other member has any other ideas I would appreciate them.

Many thanks

Dave

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Dave 2000; sorry to jump in here, but could you try disabling any antivirus you may have running on your computer and perform an advanced reinstall?

Maybe that will do the trick!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dave 2000
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply Walter, the reset to factory spec had the usual  bloatware of AV programs but they were not activated, and in fact I uninstalled them immediately before attempting the install of Dropbox.  I even disabled the windows firewall, for what it's worth but I am grasping at straws now.

I will try the advanced install you suggested.

Many thanks for your input.

Dave

Dave 2000
Explorer | Level 3

Well I tried the advance install, following the procedure carefully the search did show a Dropbox folder had been downloaded and this had a folder within marked 'DATA' unfortunately that was empty, so I continued with the advance install and nothing has changed.

Usual process but again it failed, as per earlier this is not usual for me to have any issues with Dropbox.

Any further ideas welcome.

Many thanks

Dave

Daphne
Dropboxer
Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the last page that you mentioned seeing at the end of the install steps @Dave 2000?

The visual would be really helpful to make sure we're on the same page in terms of where the process appears to be failing. Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Dave 2000
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, I may be on to something so presently the notebook is being upgraded.

If it helps?  From the 'Downloads' folder I double click Dropbox installation app, go through the usual security steps, and the screen flickers and then returns to the 'Downloads' folder.

I have also tried running as an administrator as well.

In the meantime I will get back to the community if what I think is the problem. ....actually is.

Many thanks

Dave

Daphne
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for the update @Dave 2000!

I'll be keeping an eye out for any nudges here, I'd be happy to help out further. 😀

I hope you have a great rest of your week ahead Dave!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Dave 2000
Explorer | Level 3

Success! 

I finally have the Dropbox program downloaded and running fine.

It seems the issue is with one of the updates that was blocking the updates on my notebook.  The error to look for is 80072efe on the windows update page.  With the inability to update certain files it prevented Dropbox setup from executing. 

A web search will bring forth an update patch from the Windows stand-alone website. With the patch installed it allowed the Windows update program to run.

So all done and I hope it may help someone with the same or similar issues.

Many thanks

Dave

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Dave 2000 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?