cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 2nd example - a .txt file that I can edit

Cannot edit some text files in Dropbox on iPhone?

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

In the Dropbox app on iPhone SE, I can open all my text files, but in some of them I do not get the Edit icon (looks like a cursor) at bottom left, so cannot edit them.

In others, I get the Edit icon at bottom left, and can edit them.

In both cases the text files are from the Notepad app on my Windows 10 PC.

When I cannot edit a text file, the settings and menus that I can call up do not seem to provide any solution.

Am I missing something?

Mike

46 Replies 46

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Sanchez,

Thanks for looking into this.

I would not have complained if I had received any response to my requests for support. 

I get email from Dropbox all the time. Weekly in fact, though looking now I can see it is from a different email address (no-reply@dropboxmail.com), which is where the Dropbox Support survey also came from. I'm not sure that users should or would know that, especially a priori.

But, I doubt this explains anything, especially as I received an email from "no-reply@dropbox.com" on Tue, Mar 20, at 8:01PM (I'm on the East Coast) about a new device signing into my account. And a similar one on Feb 19. 

"no-reply@dropbox.com" was not, and is not blocked in my email system. I have added "no-reply@dropbox.com" to my contacts / address book as you requested. It's possible this is the problem, but probably no more likely than Support mis-typing my email address with a letter O instead of a zero before the @. 

Perhaps you could test by sending 2 emails. One from "no-reply@dropbox.com" - and then a second one (confirming it) from <anyname>@dropboxmail.com or <anyname>@dropboxforum.com. Maybe you could include one of my ticket numbers in the emails?

Thank you!

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Sanchez

or

.@Sanchez

I think one of my ticket numbers (which you asked for earlier in this thread, and which you stated do exist though I still have not received an email from support) might be 7781911. That's because your survey people contacted me, and in the contact message referenced this number as a ticket number.

Cardinal2B

BTW there seems to be a thread about not receiving emails from support...

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. There’s another way to check on, and reply to, your tickets. You can go here https://dropbox.zendesk.com, and create an account with same email address associated with your Dropbox account. 

Give this a try, and let me know.

Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I started all this so i am popping back in.

The Dropbox Team have not yet told us why we can edit some .txt files but not others.

Moving on, I guess that I can no longer edit .txt files on Dropbox anyway, because I have removed the Dropbox folder from my PC and I have removed the Dropbox app from my iPhone.  Nowadays I just go into the Dropbox website with a password and take care to sign out when I leave.  So I cannot edit .txt files on Dropbox, is that right, please?

What is "Paper", and is it in any way helpful to my situation?

Mike

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
This works. So now I see all my requests for help... and replies asking for stuff. So earlier today I sent lots of files in...and revived the first ticket (w/ Hannah). Have not heard back yet, but expect to...
Thanks for your help Sanchez

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If you have a ticket number, let me know, and I’ll be happy to check in on it. 

And you’re right about not being able to edit text files on our website. 

Now, about Paper…
It’s a collaborative document editing service that we provide for free, with your Dropbox account. There are many cool features in Paper, but my favorite is real-time collaborating with others! Have a look here for more info, and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Great, @Cardinal2B! Let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
My ticket number is 7823753
Thanks!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I’ll have an agent get back to you as soon as possible, @Cardinal2B. Cheers! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Dropboxer - I started this thread, but Cardinal2B has already opened several Tickets about this same problem, so I am hoping to see the final reply of the Dropbox team here anyway.

If I open a Ticket it would only be duplicating Cardinal2B's complaints.

As already described, I am now using Dropbox via the website only, so , as you say, I cannot edit .txt files on Dropbox.

"Paper" will not edit .txt files, if I am understanding you correctly?

Mike

Need more support?