cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot establish a secure connection

Cannot establish a secure connection

Halil A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Your computer will compare your system date to the expiration date of our SSL certificate. If your system time is stuck in the past or so far in the future that it is outside of Dropbox's SSL certificate expiration date, a secure connection will not be established. This is easily corrected by changing your system time to the current date...

15 Replies 15

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

An incorrect date and time are not the only cause of not being able to make a connection to Dropbox. There could be a firewall that is blocking the traffic (perhaps by that zealous corporate security team), antivirus, and many other reasons. Simply put, something either on your computer or on your network is blocking Dropbox. It's a local issue. If you haven't already, the first thing to try is to make sure that the Proxy setting in Dropbox preferences is set to No proxy (assuming, of course, that you don't use a proxy server).

wdalston
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
You are probably right! The new year is an *ideal* time to roll out more security protocols and break something! Thanks.

wdalston
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In updated and related news, I went into settings and turned off Proxy. Bingo! Now DropBox is updating automatically. (This despite the corporate firewall that evidently exists, or maybe I just imagined that.)

Either way, your suggestions are much appreciated.

Eletros
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Omg Yes! it worked! i haven't been able to connect discord and at one point i couldn't connect One drive. Weird to think it was the proxy .-.

jamesbnh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
sent me to correct help page about changing proxy settings. For some reason my Dropbox preference setting was on auto detect fro proxy. I didn't change anything, so i guess someone updated something and it changed or became an issue. Any way, changing proxy setting to no proxy and rebooting iMac solved the issue.

stevewrightuk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Had the same symptoms on my PC. Turned out that I was running a program called Fiddler at the same time. Stopping that and restarting Dropbox fixed the problem. 

Need more support?