cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get to dropbox.com and the client can't connect

Cannot get to dropbox.com and the client can't connect

Road S.
New member | Level 1

This one has me completely stumped.  For some reason I cannot get to Dropbox.com nor can the client connect.  Both IE (edge) and Chrome.  Cleared all the cache, flushed dns, uninstalled the client and reinstalled it.  Reset the winsock, you name it.  I can get to every other site but Dropbox.  I pinged it and it resolved correctly (based on a machine that can connect). Windows 10 all the latest patches.Turned off the firewall and Defender real time protection to no avail.  I tried a bunch of other secure (https) sites so I know 443 is fine.  There is virtually no other software on this PC other then Scansnap as it is used to scan documents at a client site that get sync'd with us via Dropbox.  It worked up until today.  Nothing was installed, The client stopped syncing so I tried to go to the website to upload the docs and discovered I couldn't get there.

Any ideas appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Re: Cannot get to dropbox.com and the client can't connect

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Proxy? Corporate firewall? Use the offline installer?

Road S.
New member | Level 1

Bingo.  It was late so nobody was there.  But this morning we used a hotspot to connect and it worked.  I just think it's odd they would specifically block that one website.  Not One Drive, not Google drive, just Dropbox

Thanks for the reply

Jim

Rick M.

Some firewalls block dropbox by default because it's too easy for sensitive files to be, ahem, outsourced.

Glad you're ok now.

Rich
Super User II

Some firewalls block dropbox by default because it's too easy for sensitive files to be, ahem, outsourced.

Where is the information that states this, and why would that apply to Dropbox and no other cloud storage or file synchronization service?

I've been in the IT field for 25 years and have never known a firewall of any brand to block Dropbox (or any other cloud service) by default.

Rick M.

Some firewall [admins] do this, not the mfg. Think Raytheon.

Alexis G.1
Super User

I handle lot of firewalls every day and never see a default rule or service to block Dropbox.

Rick M.

Corporate policy blocks much.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Alexis G.1 Super User
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?