cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install Dropbox

Cannot install Dropbox

Legion
Helpful | Level 6

Been using Dropbox for years, then for no reason that I can think of I was confronted with a nagging "You're using an old version of Dropbox. Please update to the latest version to continue using Dropbox." 

Regular install and offline install results in:

“The installer encountered error 2”

“Help for this issue” is no help at all (it would be helpful to know what ‘error 2’ is for a start). Between the nags syncing was fine, so firewall isn’t to blame. Fresh install makes no difference. System Restore and image restore don't help.

I’ve googled and browsed posts about it here: waste of time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot install Dropbox

Legion
Helpful | Level 6

@ngaugler  I suggest you ditch Dropbox and install Onedrive - the two are virtually identical, and with an Android app called 'onesync' (same dev as 'dropsync') it's a seamless transition.  

Dropbox personnel haven't a clue what this infamous 'error 2' is or how to fix it. I've tried.... and now I go elsewhere.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

nodkane
New member | Level 2
same issue. HELP!

Legion
Helpful | Level 6

Purged all Dropbox related entries from registry and deleted folders in %APPDATA%, %LOCALAPPDATA%, and programfiles without joy. v77.3.127 installs, but of course one has to update to proceed. And if one can install this version but not latest version then surely it’s a problem with Dropbox. A significant problem is that you FORCE people to update.

The following from @mrpush posted last year sums it up:

“Hi, this is really bad Dropbox.  It's been over a YEAR and I (and appearently hundreds or thousands of other users) can not get Dropbox to re-install after working fine, with the "Error 2" error.  That does not say much about your support and programming staff.  There are some serious issues with dropbox that you obviously are not able to fix. 

I ditched dropbox for a competitor for this very reason and steered our company away from it as well.  It's been OVER A YEAR and people are still having this exact same issue.  One day Dropbox just stops working.  So the logical thing to do is a re-install, and when you do that, you never get dropbox installed again.  Some people even see the problem from a FRESH install.

Folks, all I can reccomend is that you move on to one of their competitiors.  It is really appearent that they do not know how to fix these issues.  They even have the same install files going out for all this time, with no updated one to review and fix these issues, which I have concluded are due to poor programming casueing registry errors that can't be overcome by them.

Attempts to have Dropbox fix them, are a lesson in futility.

Thanks,

M”

ngaugler
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem.  It complains it is too old and must be updated.  The installer fails with "The installer encountered error 2."  I tried uninstalling drop box and purging everything as well, still receive the error.  I now have no way to sync my files.  Windows 10 64 bit.

Legion
Helpful | Level 6

@ngaugler  I suggest you ditch Dropbox and install Onedrive - the two are virtually identical, and with an Android app called 'onesync' (same dev as 'dropsync') it's a seamless transition.  

Dropbox personnel haven't a clue what this infamous 'error 2' is or how to fix it. I've tried.... and now I go elsewhere.

Napalmer
Explorer | Level 3

Hi! Have same problem! I receive such message "error 2 " but in russian language. Cant find answer with help. My last working version 90.4.307 stable, tried all new stable versions - no help. I deleted working versions, no help! Cant install any, BUT! I installed last working 90.4.307 without bug. I have Win x64 10 pro. Just all minimal necessary soft, no experiments with regular updatings other progs and for a system.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Napalmer Explorer | Level 3
    Legion Helpful | Level 6
    ngaugler New member | Level 2
    nodkane New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?