cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open Dropbox files within the Files app. on my iPad Pro, since upgrading to iOS 15

Cannot open Dropbox files within the Files app. on my iPad Pro, since upgrading to iOS 15

Chris Brown
New member | Level 2

Good Evening:

I am trying to troubleshoot a possible issue with access Dropbox-based files, on the iPad Pro, using the Files app., since upgrading to iOS 15.

In the past, I would launch the Files app, browse to applicable Dropbox folder, then click on the file in order to open it.

Usually these were POs, which I would then use the default app. to add annotations, signature, etc.

Now when I attempt to do so, the file is present, with the "cloud" icon, but when I click on it nothing happens.

If I long-click, I get the typical Files options (Download, Get Info, Rename, etc.).

I tried click Download but again, nothing happens (cloud icon remains).

I am able to access the files, using the Dropbox app., but that is limited to what apps. can open\edit the file.

Specifically, I cannot seem to get the full functionality of the native app. (cannot annotate, sign, etc.); can choose to "Open with" and "Add Text or Signature", but this is severely limited in functionality (ex - cannot highlight).

Curious if any other Dropbox users are having issue opening Dropbox files from within the Files app., since upgrading to iOS 15?

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Happy Friday @Chris Brown, thanks for posting today! 

Can you let me know the OS and Dropbox app version you have installed on your device? 

In addition, if you could send me some screenshots with the precise steps you follow on your end, that'd be amazing. 

Just make sure your personal info isn't visible.

​​​​​​​Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Quine
Explorer | Level 4

Yes - same problem here. iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 15.1. The Dropbox Location (file-provider) stalls in Files App, and any other app which tries to use the Dropbox Location (file-provider) - including Pages, Keynote, Numbers etc. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the Dropbox App, as well as adding and removing Dropbox as a files Location. All to no avail. The problem persists.

WhoisQuinn
New member | Level 2

Good evening,

I had the same problem as well -> Update to iOS 15.1 fixed this for me on:

iPad Pro 12.9“

BUT 

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15.1 -> Dropbox does not show up in Files App (Browse -> Locations…)

DropBox App erase and reinstall / reboots have still not fixed the issue…

Does anyone have any suggestions, please..?

Thanks,

Q

Hughkills
New member | Level 2

Having the same problem as the OP on iOS 15.1 on an iPad. Dropbox app appear up-to-date. Tapping the Dropbox app icon, the app opens, then closes immediately. 

byron67
Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the same problem using an iPad Pro 11" and iPad OS 15.4.1.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @byron67, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please disable Dropbox as a location in the Files app and re-enable it to see if it makes any difference? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Charles R.5
Explorer | Level 4
It’s easy. Go into your iOS Settings -> [Apps] Dropbox and turn the Allow Tracking switch on/off, depending on which state it is in.
Then, you will find it clears the Dropbox <-> Files blockage.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Charles R.5 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    byron67 Explorer | Level 4
    Hughkills New member | Level 2
    WhoisQuinn New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?