cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open preferences

Cannot open preferences

Dave C.31
New member | Level 1

Windows 7 64 bit

I experienced some hard drive corruption, my SSD choked on some files, including some of the Dropbox executables.

I uninstalled dropbox, reinstalled dropbox, relinked my profile.

I click on preferences and the preferences menu will not open.

I have uninstalled dropbox again using Revo Uninstaller, reinstalled, relinked, and still get crickets when I click on preferences. With reboots in between.

This all worked before the corruption event.

I need to be able to change synced folders, enable LAN sync (on a markedly metered connection) and disable proxy use (I run both a squid cache and propel, so I need to tell DB to avoid these).  I cannot do any of these things unless I can open preferences.

Running 3.18, downloaded again today.

Ideas? I tried to submit a ticket but was referred back to the forums as they have all the answers.  

In frustration...

7 Replies 7

Re: Cannot open preferences

Andy S.23
New member | Level 2

I see the same thing with Mac 3.18.1.  Can't open Preferences in order to switch on my Proxy.

Yang H.1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problems  as others that can't open Preferences to set up proxy. I use Windows 10. 

Alberto C.11
New member | Level 2

same problem on Win7 using version 3.20.1:

I can't open preferences while dropbox is connecting, but can't connect if I don't change proxy, because I work on different LAN, so I need to open Preferences.

Anyone knows where the connection settings are stored to change them manually?

Solved: downgrade to version 3.18.1

August B.
New member | Level 1

Hi. Anyone able to solve this issue? Same happens to me, not able to go to settings to change proxy settings.

gorotman g.
New member | Level 1

Hi, I've the same issue.

I just updated dropbox to last version. I need to change proxy password, but It doesn't show preference window.

Windows 8.1

Thank's

August B.
New member | Level 1

Hi. I just installed the new beta version, and then it works. Read more on this link:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/206537276-How-to-reset-proxy-setting-since-Pre...

gorotman g.
New member | Level 1

confirmed. beta version 4.3.26 works.

thank August B.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gorotman g. New member | Level 1
    August B. New member | Level 1
    Alberto C.11 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?