cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot preview any documents

Cannot preview any documents

ashleighcole
Explorer | Level 4

I have not been able to preview any of my documents, whether shared with or originated by me, for several months. I went through the recommendations on this post, as well as the help article here, and did not find anything that helped. I have an All Starts account, am using FireFox as my browser, I don't have an ad blocking plug in or extension on this browser, the files all have the extension in the file name, and they are not over the size limits. I am accessing via browser and do not have the desktop app on my computer, and will not download it as it risks files being deleted from my computer if someone deletes them from the shared file. I tried it on Chrome as well and I'm getting the same issue, with or without Ad Blocker on.  It's getting to the point where I am downloading files that I already have over and over again - or downloading files that I don't need on my computer, because I can't see them otherwise - because this feature isn't working.

I need this to work and I am incredibly frustrated that it's been broken for so long.

6 Replies 6

Re: Cannot preview any documents

Jane
Dropboxer

Hi ashleighcole

Sorry to hear about the frustration caused. In order to try to identify what the case is, I will need some more information. Can you please try accessing your file previews via an incognito browsing window? What type of file are you having trouble with? E.g. audio, video, image or document? How long have you been experiencing this issue? 

Please let me know what the case is in your response, I will be glad to help troubleshoot further!

Thanks, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ashleighcole
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I just tried to view it in a private browser and still got the same error. It mostly happens with PDFs and Word documents. I can sometimes preview Excel documents, but not always. This has been since at least September.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey!

Thanks for getting back to me. It appears that you are able to preview some documents, though not all. Can you please check the filesizes? Each filetype has a file limitation when it comes to previews. Just including some example maximums for your convenience: 

• Word: 160 MB
  • Powerpoint: 288 MB
  • Excel: 40 MB
  • PDF: 80 MB

Can you please check whether this is the case and try the feature with a different file amd let me know in your response? 

Thanks, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

ashleighcole
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Jane,

I have already checked that, as mentioned in my previous post. The files are not over the size limits. In using it the last few days, I can view excel files, but not csv files. In fact, excel files are pretty much the only ones I can preview.

ashleighcole
Explorer | Level 4

Following up on this. I have not received a fix for this and still am unable to preview documents other than excel files.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey ashleighcole

Thank you for following-up on that. Is there a ticket ID we can reference, so that we continue troubleshooting from this point onwards, when it comes to the previews issue? 

Kind Regards, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    ashleighcole Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?