cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot run or uninstall Dropbox on Windows 10

Cannot run or uninstall Dropbox on Windows 10

staffordgooner
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Community! 

First let me say that I am pretty sure this is a Windows 10 caused issue as I had something simliar with Adobe which I've repaired, but same steps are not fixing the Dropbox issue. With Adobe, I could uninstall the app through traditional methods and do a fresh install, but that is not working for Dropbox. 

Symptoms

1) No icon in system tray, dropbox

2) App won't launch and is not syncing

3) If I launch from the dropbox programes client folder it produces an error saying "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe' - but that is that actual file name I am clicking to launch! 

3) DbxSvc process is running

4) Uninstall from both Apps menu and running the DB Uninstall programme both stop with "Failed to Uninstall"

5) Have tried various reinstalls including Dropbox 77.3.127 Offline Installer.exe

6) All reinstalls finish successfully but symptoms remain identical. 

Any advise other than re-installing Windows 10 which is all I can find from here on in. 

TIA 

Vince

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot run or uninstall Dropbox on Windows 10

staffordgooner
Helpful | Level 5

I have managed to find the fix myself after hunting for how I fixed the Adobe issue. It is a registry issue caused by anti-virus software. 

Use regedit (carefully of course!) and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options. Make sure the only entry for dropbox is dropbox.exe with no subfolder. I had a sub folder. Once deleted the application launched perfectly and wnet straight into sync. 

Vince

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

staffordgooner
Helpful | Level 5

I have managed to find the fix myself after hunting for how I fixed the Adobe issue. It is a registry issue caused by anti-virus software. 

Use regedit (carefully of course!) and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options. Make sure the only entry for dropbox is dropbox.exe with no subfolder. I had a sub folder. Once deleted the application launched perfectly and wnet straight into sync. 

Vince

Timthefold
New member | Level 2

I've been having the same problem. icon gone, won't sync, won't uninstal. i recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, which i assumed had caused the issue. following on from your solution ... when i go to Image File Execution Options, i only have a folder called DropboxUpdate.exe     i don't have anything called Dropbox.exe     should i delete DropboxUpdate.exe? thanks for any help on this. 

RevBlot
New member | Level 2

Brilliant thanks. Of all the suggestions, the only one that worked (and one of the easiest!).

mjfoo
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Timthefold,

I have the same problem as you regarding the DropboxUpdate.exe. Have you found any solution?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mjfoo Explorer | Level 3
    RevBlot New member | Level 2
    Timthefold New member | Level 2
    staffordgooner Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?