cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot sync or get icon to appear in taskbar

Cannot sync or get icon to appear in taskbar

Seanette
New member | Level 2

I have Dropbox apps set up on my Windows 10 laptop, Android 7 tablet, and Android 9 phone. I absolutely cannot get files synced from the laptop to anywhere else. The app isn't even syncing with the file folder on my computer. The Windows app does not HAVE a findable preferences menu, nor can I get the Dropbox icon to appear in my system tray.

5 Replies 5

Re: Cannot sync or get icon to appear in taskbar

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Seanette, thanks for checking in with us and sorry to hear you're having trouble syncin with the desktop app. 

Do you by any chance get any errors when you try launching the desktop app from your applications menu? 

If you do, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) so that I can have a better visual understanding of what you see?

Keep me posted - thank you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Seanette
New member | Level 2

No, no error messages, just complete absence of syncing.

Lusil
Dropboxer

When you do launch the desktop app, does it show up on your system tray? 

If it doesn't, you can try a simple reinstall of the desktop app to see if that does the trick.

Let me know how it goes, @Seanette!

PS. For anyone else reading this, please note that if you're on a Basic (free) account, there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Linda E.3
Helpful | Level 5

I think Dropbox changed because when I right click on the task bar Dropbox icon and try to find the Preferences and Selective Synch it isn't there.  I don't know what to do.  I am currently using Windows 7 64-Bit.  Thank you. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for nudging me on this thread, @Linda E.3!

Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you do see when you:

1. Click on the Dropbox icon (that's next to your computer's clock).
  2. Click on your avatar/profile picture that's on the top right corner of your Recents/Notifications menu?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?