cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot uninstall on my Windows 10 computer

Cannot uninstall on my Windows 10 computer

simon d.16
New member | Level 1

I'm having a few issues with Dropbox ever since upgrading to windows 10. I may just need to reinstall to fix everything, but I cannot uninstall it.

First is that I can't open the desktop client by clicking the shortcut (on desktop, in start menu or even directly trying to open the .exe)

When the file explorer is open, Dropbox does appear under the quick access area so I thought no big deal.

All the files are there but they no longer have the green tick (or syncing symbol) and it looks more like they are just normal files. I initially didn't think much of this either and I was able to access the latest versions of some documents (but trying it now, it isn't the latest version, but a version about 1 week old but all these issues have been for about 2-3 weeks)

The system tray icon is also missing and there isn't a process for Dropbox going in the task manager.

Today I went to get the public link to share something, but none of the right click contextual menu options for dropbox were there.

So I went to uninstall dropbox and it cannot, it says "uninstall failed. dropbox failed to uninstall"

So what to do now?

Running win 10 home on a desktop pc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: cannot uninstall

simon d.16
New member | Level 1

i was never able to uninstall, im pretty sure i just downloaded and installed dropbox and the installation process would of seen the program already there and just overwritten what it needed too. If windows lets you uninstall first, I would assume that would be the better option, in case theres some faulty or corrupted files that would be removed and then install, but if you cannot uninstall, just try to do another install and see if that works, did for me at least

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

james w.68
New member | Level 1

where is the 'Uninstall' button?

simon d.16
New member | Level 1

To uninstall you can go to the "control panel", then under "programs" there should be an option called "uninstall a program", this will give you a list of everything installed on the computer, scroll to "dropbox" and click it, then an "uninstall" button should appear above the list of programs

This may be slightly different depending on your operating system

Also FYI for anyone who reads this thread, my issue is resolved, I think it let me reinstall without having to uninstall first

Sarah W.38
New member | Level 1

So you reinstalled dropbox after upgrading to Microsoft 10, and then uninstalled the previous version?  I am receiving a message to reinstall dropbox, and am wondering if I have to uninstall first... doesn't sound like if from your post.  Sounds like I can do that later.

Is that correct?

simon d.16
New member | Level 1

i was never able to uninstall, im pretty sure i just downloaded and installed dropbox and the installation process would of seen the program already there and just overwritten what it needed too. If windows lets you uninstall first, I would assume that would be the better option, in case theres some faulty or corrupted files that would be removed and then install, but if you cannot uninstall, just try to do another install and see if that works, did for me at least

paigemacgregor
Explorer | Level 3

I'm having the same issue and it sounds like it's not been resolved - does anyone else have an answer? I'm not planning to reinstall Dropbox on this computer...

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

simon d.16 New member | Level 1
    Sarah W.38 New member | Level 1
    james w.68 New member | Level 1
    paigemacgregor Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?