cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot uninstall or reinstall Dropbox Desktop

Cannot uninstall or reinstall Dropbox Desktop

Nicko1
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, suddenly my desktop application could not open anymore. I get a message "Windows cannot find x86...dropbox.exe". I decided to reinstall dropbox and the problem persists. I decided to uninstall dropbox and it will not let me. I manually tried to uninstall all the components, but I could not uninstall .dll file because it is used by other programs. I read similar threads, but I am not sure what the solution is. So to summarize:

-I have a pc and windows 10 pro and my dropbox desktop used to work just fine.

-Suddenly, I could not open it and I realized this because I added documents to a shared folder and collaborators told me they could not seen them.

-I tried to open the app and when I click on it nothing happens and when I force it to open (by right clicking) it says "Windows cannot find....x86... dropbox.exe".

-I tried to uninstall and I cannot. 

-I tried to manually uninstall and I can delete everything except the .dll file.

I would greatly appreciate any help! Thank you in advance.

4 Replies 4

Re: Cannot uninstall or reinstall Dropbox Desktop

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Nicko1, thanks for posting your question on the Dropbox Community. 

Just to make sure I have a better understanding of your concern, could you confirm if you’ve tried ending all Dropbox-related processes from your Task Manager before trying to uninstall again?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BigBuds
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have the exact same problem.

Everything was working fine yesterday and when i went to open dropbox today, on both my home computer and my laptop, I got the same message as the OP.

I have tried reinstalling to no avail and I have tried to uninstall using the dropbox uninstaller, the Programs and features uninstaller, and manullay doing it. I have more than triple checked all dropbox tasks have been ended but it still says a program is using something in dropbox.

I have tried it all on both my home computer and my laptop with no luck. They both worked fine yesterday.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Nicko1
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Lusil, thank you for your response. Yes, I looked at the Task Manager and the only process that was there was a "Dropbox Service", which I ended. I was not able to uninstall dropbox. Basically, as I mentioned I cannot uninstall or reinstall dropbox. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Nicko1, and sorry to hear that you're also having a similar issue, @BigBuds

In this case, you can also give an advanced reinstall a shot - maybe that will do the trick. 

Please bear in mind though that if you're on a Basic (free) account, there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Keep me posted, peeps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?