cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot use new desktop app

Cannot use new desktop app

nomnomcat
Explorer | Level 3

I'm able to open the new Dropbox app with my Google account, but not with an account linked to my school email. The preferences contain a link to download the new Dropbox desktop app but I already have that version installed.

10 Replies 10

Re: Cannot use new desktop app

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @nomnomcat, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Since you need to opt in for the new desktop app on a per account basis, you'll need to click "Try the new desktop app" option from your preferences and follow the steps after.

Can you try following that process for your account linked with your school email address, and let me know if that does the trick?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nomnomcat
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne Thanks for the response. Clicking "Try the new desktop app" only takes me to the download page I downloaded the app from.

I tried following the steps from this article, but there is no "Open folders in" dropdown in my preferences.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @nomnomcat!

Can you just send me a screenshot of the options that you do see when you look in the  "General" tab of the desktop app preferences?

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nomnomcat
Explorer | Level 3

nomnomcat
Explorer | Level 3

If I log in with my Google account, I get a different Preferences page with a different Dropbox version. However, it doesn't work with my school email (as seen above).

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 2.38.32 PM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @nomnomcat!

I don't seem to be able to see the first screenshot that you attached though, would you mind sending this again or a shared link to the image? 

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

nomnomcat
Explorer | Level 3

I posted two separate replies. It's above my previous reply. You might've missed it.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @nomnomcat!

It looks like your first post of the two is blank, so I can't see the first screenshot from the computer having this issue.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

nomnomcat
Explorer | Level 3

That's strange. I can view it on my phone even when I'm not logged in. Here's the screenshot:

Screen_Shot_2020-02-24_at_2.34.01_PM.png

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?