cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Desktop App Root Folder Name

Change Desktop App Root Folder Name

brodyjdavis
Helpful | Level 5

Im a freelancer jumping onto a job thats already in production. Id like to use the desktop app and have it pathed the same way as everyone else on the job but the default root folder name generated by the installer is different. I can move the root folder install easy enough but I cant change the name of it to match. 
Is there a way to do this? I would grealtly appreciate being able to alter the file path to match so Im not having to relink assets throughout production. 

The auto-generated root name: D:\Word Word Dropbox\JobName\files
What I am trying to change to: D:\Dropbox\JobName\Files

seems like it would be a simple setting

7 Replies 7

Re: Change Desktop App Root Folder Name

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @brodyjdavis, thanks for messaging today!

If you're using the Dropbox desktop application, you can move the Dropbox folder to the D:. 

When selecting the folder, make sure to just select D, and not inside a subfolder. 

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

brodyjdavis
Helpful | Level 5

I believe you are not understanding the issue, Im not attempting to move the folder, Im attempting to rename the root folder. 

The desktop app auto generate a name for the root folder, I would like to edit that auto-generated name. Is there a way to change the auto-generated name for the root folder

This is important in a production enviropnment so all users can have the same paths and share project files. if the root folder is named differently for different users it will break links inside project files. This is a big problem for productions of all scale and seems like it would be a simple solution. Are you aware of a solution at this time, or are you able to elevate this issue so it can be implimented in future updates?

Again, i dont want to move the root folder, I want to re-name it. 

Thank you

Jay
Dropboxer
Generally, it isn't possible to rename the actual Dropbox folder.

The Dropbox folder should simply be named as Dropbox, unless you're in a Dropbox Business team, when the name is different. 

Are you a member of a Business account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

brodyjdavis
Helpful | Level 5

I believe so, Im freelancing on this job and using an account managed by the studio so the name of the root folder is the name "[Studio Name] Dropbox", but some other users folders on the job are named "Dropbox", as I assume they are using their personal accounts.

Would it not be possible to impliment a way for users to rename the root folder? It would make Dropbox far more useful for situations like this. 

Rich
Super User II

@brodyjdavis wrote:

Would it not be possible to impliment a way for users to rename the root folder?

Browse the Share an Idea section and look for one of the existing suggestions, and add your support for it.

brodyjdavis
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for the suggestion, I have submitted it as an idea. Hopefully it gets some attention, as it such a major production pipeline breaking problem. 

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the message, @brodyjdavis, I've merged your idea post with an existing one on the forum.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?