cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changes to desktop client (tray popup & notifications)

Highlighted

Changes to desktop client (tray popup & notifications)

Dropboxer
Hi forums users,

I’m Alexander and I work on the product team here at Dropbox.

Starting today, we’re rolling out some changes to the desktop client. Two of the main changes are:
  1. A new design of the desktop tray to help you see what’s going on in your Dropbox.
  2. Improved desktop notifications.

We’re excited to hear your thoughts! If you have any questions or feedback on these changes, please reply to this thread.

Thanks!
11 Replies 11
Highlighted

New member | Level 1

You should rethink the change to the shortcut to open the Dropbox folder.  On a Mac, for example, it's now quicker to just open finder and click the favorites shortcut.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

@Ozzie B., thanks for the feedback! Please let us know if anything else comes up.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Was quite excited for a bit.... but there seems to be absolutely no change to the design under linux? Will this be rectified soon?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

On OS X how do I get rid of this bar forever? I don't need this huge bar open in every Finder window that I've got open to my Dropbox folder, but the only option in Preferences I can find is to turn off Finder Integration and I don't want to lose all of the functionality just to get rid of this thing.

At the bottom of my list of folders, I have to collapse the bar if I want to get into one of these two folders. A UI element that impedes access to files in a program who's entire reason for existing is to access files is bad UX.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

I can't upload an image from dropbox to galleries on my samsung, wich means that i can't use an image from dropbox as my wallpaper.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

How do I get rid of that floating "Share Folder" button? (Thanks to "Scott Ashley K." above, for saving me from having to figure out how to attach images - his screenshots are EXACTLY what I'm talking about.)

Even turning off Finder integration doesn't make this thing go away.

Seriously, who thought that adding something this intrusive would be a good idea, ESPECIALLY without providing a way for people who don't want it (which I suspect is more than 90% of your users) to disable it?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

I am not sure what has happened to Dropbox, but slowly it is looking and feeling more and more like a virus or Trojan horse. These hacks into the finder have me increasing worried, and this latest floating bar seems to be just the latest on a long list of issues. Seems to me that Dropbox has absolutely no respect for their users and thinks they know better. 

i have been a longtime pro user but I am most likely going to cancel my account in the next day or so, unless Dropbox makes a statement on how they are going to corrrect these issues that have eroded their user base trust.

-J

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

@ScottAshleyK's comments x10

This is such a painful step backwards in terms of usability, it feels so janky. Please remove it, or make it easy to turn off, all of this functionality is already available from the right-click menu.

Why not work on useful features, like improving the ui for selective sync?

Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

Alexander, here's another user giving a big thumbs down on your new floating share folder button. Can't say I disagree, it's a ghastly idea.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/211965303-Are-you-kidding-me-

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?