cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Windows Autoplay settings without my permission (repeatedly)

Changing Windows Autoplay settings without my permission (repeatedly)

mr-stem
Explorer | Level 3

At some point I noticed that Windows was not opening File Explorer when I inserted a USB disk.  The reason?  Somehow my autoplay settings had been changed to say 'Import stuff (Dropbox)'.  I was shocked, and changed it right back to 'Open folder to view files (File Explorer)'.  I have legally privileged information on some of my drives, so Dropbox would be in a compromised position if it had been stealing my data unbidden.  And then it happened again; I rectified it quicker this time, and looked it up.  Apparently other people have been bugged and caught out by this as long ago as 2017.  Oh well, I thought.  A bug as serious as that won't take long to be fixed.  Only it is still doing it; as far as I can make out, this happens every time I reboot.

So now I am taking the trouble to register and log the issue here because, for me, this is a deal-breaker.  If Dropbox will not remedy this basic failure to consult, then I will reluctantly uninstall and find a more reliable platform, and take as many of my contacts with me as I can.  You can make this kind of change when I install Dropbox if you ask my permission; that's it, period. 

Please contact me if there is anything remotely unclear in this post.

9 Replies 9

Re: Changing Windows Autoplay settings without my permission (repeatedly)

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @mr-stem, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Would you mind sending me a screenshot showing the changes that you made in the desktop app settings to disable this?

Also, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed at the moment?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mr-stem
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne, thanks for listening.

In the Dropbox preferences dialog, the available options for 'Enable camera uploads' are 'Photos only' and 'Photos and Videos'.  There is no 'None' option.  It is currently set to 'Photos only'.   I have seen elsewhere a screengrab from Dropbox on a Mac which appeared to have an extra checkbox so that you could turn this off.  I am running Dropbox v. 100.4.409 on Windows 10 and I believe this is configured to install updates automatically as I have seen the interface change over time.

I would send a screengrab, but I couldn't figure out how to within this rich-text editor!  🙂

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @mr-stem!

If you would like to send any screenshots, you should be able to do so with the "Photos" option along the top of the reply box here. If not, you can use a shared link instead.

In any case, just to confirm, are you taking these exact steps to disable the import to Dropbox?

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon and choose "Preferences..."
  3. Go to the "Backups" tab.
  4. Click the "Change AutoPlay Settings" and ensure all defaults are set to not import to Dropbox.
  5. Choose "Save" and then "Apply" from the bottom right corner.

Also, do you see this revert back to importing to Dropbox right away, after restarting the app or after rebooting the device?

On a Mac OS they do indeed have a checkbox instead of the AutoPlay settings due to the difference in the OS, it's not expected to see the same checkbox on a Windows device.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mr-stem
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne

Somehow I missed the Photos button yesterday.  I think my brain was looking for the more general images icon and just ignored this!  So here is the screenshot:

Dropbox preferences screengrab 20200701.pngAs you confirmed in your message, there is no check box to turn off updates altogether.

When I click Change Autoplay Settings, it takes me to this screen in Control Panel:

Dropbox control panel screengrab 20200701.png

This clearly shows my preference to use File Explorer for all media types.  However, there are also specific Autoplay settings under Devices / Autoplay in the modern settings UI as shown below.  These are the settings that periodically switch to Dropbox:

Dropbox autoplay screengrab 20200701.png

I have just tried exiting and restarting Dropbox, and nothing changed.  I shall reboot next, and see if that triggers it.  (Obviously, I will have to finish this post here and revert in a few minutes ...

mr-stem
Explorer | Level 3

Nothing changed after the reboot either.  I did fiddle with the Control Panel settings and click Apply, so it's just possible that has fixed it, though I don't think I actually changed thoses settings from how they were before.  Alternatively, it could be a different event, such as the installation of an automatic updatem which triggers the change.  I will report back with the current version number if it happens again.

Big provisional thank you for now if this has actually fixed it, as this issue has been a major irritation to date.  (If you hadn't guessed!)  🙂

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you (at the moment) @mr-stem!

Please do indeed get back to me if the issue crops up again, but hopefully that should have done the trick.

If there's anything else that I can help with in the meantime then don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. :grin:

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week - stay safe!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

mr-stem
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne , the original problem has just returned, and this is how my Autoplay settings look again.

Dropbox autoplay screengrab 20200720.png

I haven't touched the relevant settings in either Dropbox or Control Panel, but I see that I am now running Dropbox for Windows v101.4.434, whereas it was v100.4.409 when I first reported the issue.  So I would infer that it is the installer which is unilaterally changing this setting without my consent or happiness.  Obviously, I know how to fix this in thei short term as I've had way too much practice already.  Dropbox dev/legal teams please note.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update here @mr-stem!

The behaviour is very strange indeed, it's not expected that the app would revert any settings during updates.

I can suggest trying an advanced reinstall of the desktop app to see if that does the trick. This will remove any previous settings and info on your device regarding the Dropbox app.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

mr-stem
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne, thanks for your reply, and for the suggestion.  TBH, as a developer myself, I am sceptical that re-installing will affect this behaviour.  Nevertheless, I will do it, in good faith and to bolster the evidence, as soon as I can spare the time to go through the detailed procedure with due care and attention.  However, I would not like this to delay the issue also being investgated in parallel by the Dropbox development team.  If this were my show, I would be taking a proactive approach to understand and eliminate the error, regardless of the particular circumstances where it arises.  Best regards, @mr-stem.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?