Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Choose Dropbox location prior to app starting upon Install

Helpful | Level 5
Is it possible to select the Local Dropbox folder location before the app starts after a fresh install? Currently, once installed it starts Syncing to a predetermined C:/users/(name) location. Would much rather select the location myself and then start a Sync.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Choose Dropbox location prior to app starting upon Install

Helpful | Level 5
Hi Mark, everytime I try that it freezes and I have to restart my PC. Upon restart, Dropbox starts syncing automatically to the default location. I’ve gone through this process 3 times. After the 3rd failure, I decided to let the stupid thing sync to the default location and then just move it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Yes, 

You just need to select the 'Advanced Install' route

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Hi Mark, everytime I try that it freezes and I have to restart my PC. Upon restart, Dropbox starts syncing automatically to the default location. I’ve gone through this process 3 times. After the 3rd failure, I decided to let the stupid thing sync to the default location and then just move it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
It certainly shouldnt do that - may be worth logging a ticket about it? Nor is it anything I've seen before.

www.dropbox.com/support and track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Hi Mark,

I have an open ticket with Support already. Will post their findings once they resolve the issue. I’ve had issues with Dropbox ever since I upgraded to a Business Account. My old Pro Account never had any issues. Thanks.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem. When I choose "other" for the folder location in Advanced Settings, it just hangs eternally. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I suspect that Dropbox starts syncing in the background, giving us zero visual feedback. The only way to confirm is to let it sit for hours, if not an entire day. Sadly, I don't want to potentially waste that time. I just let it sync to it's default place and then move it.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?