cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing selective sync slows down my computer?

Choosing selective sync slows down my computer?

dhenrymigizi
New member | Level 2

DropBox is working flawlessly on sync but just recently, when selecting which files to sync or not to sync has become unacceptabley slow, I mean SLOW...is this a Drop Box issue are my computer issue? Upon question, Drop Box suggested the nuclear option...delete and reinstall...however, I have 327.9 GB online but my hard drive is only 218 GB. I cannot delete Dropbox, reinstall, and sync then selective sync all my files. Also, to go through a detailed selective sync for files dating back to 2012, while not impossible, is a huge pain in the rear end.

Anyone have an issue with Drop Box running incredibily slow with simply selecting which files to sync or not to sync??

3 Replies 3

Re: Choosing selective sync slows down my computer?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @dhenrymigizi

Thanks for reaching out to us about this!

If you reinstall the desktop app, your Dropbox folder won't be deleted from your computer and your selective sync settings should not be removed. 

You can give a reinstall of the desktop app a try and see if it does the trick. 

To do this, you'll have to make sure you save and quit all programs that access files in the Dropbox folder and then:

For Mac OS:

1. Download the newest version.
  2. Stop Dropbox by clicking on the Dropbox icon in the menu bar, going to your avatar picture and selecting 'Quit Dropbox'.
  3. Delete the Dropbox desktop app from the Applications folder. 
  4. Reinstall the Dropbox desktop app. 

For Windows OS:

1. Stop Dropbox by clicking on the Dropbox icon in the system tray, navigating to your avatar picture and choosing to 'Quit Dropbox'.
  2. Uninstall Dropbox.
  3. Reboot your computer to make sure the uninstall is complete.
  4. Download and install the newest version of the Dropbox desktop app.

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dhenrymigizi
New member | Level 2

Thanks...I just did a reinstall to the most current version without unstalling Drop Box. The reinstall with the most current version of Drop Box was successful in that my computer selective sync setting were retained but manipulating the selective sync file window is still excruciating slow to the point of being worthless.

So weird uh…I can’t figure out why.

So I can completely uninstall Drop Box and my computer selective sync preferences will be retained?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @dhenrymigizi

If you uninstall the desktop app, the folders that you selectively synced won't be placed in the Dropbox folder again and the settings should not be removed if you simply reinstall (following the steps shown in my previous post). 

However, please note that when you uninstall the desktop app, the Dropbox folder becomes like any other folder on your computer and doesn't sync

This means that any changes you make to your files will not be reflected in your account on the website and any other connected device. 

Since you mention that the selective sync settings are slow though, could you please have a look at this article - maybe one of the options listed will do the trick. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?