cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Click on tray-icon doesn't trigger explorer anymore

Click on tray-icon doesn't trigger explorer anymore

News P.
New member | Level 1

Hello.

With the last update (?) clicking on the tray-icon doesn't show up the explorer-windows with dropbox-folders anymore but a menue to choose an action.

How can I get the previous behaviour back? It is annoying to have two clicks done instead of one to get the explorer-windows open.

UR

12 Replies 12

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi there!

Which version of Dropbox are you currently running?

Clicking on the tray icon (near the clock) shouldn't open the Dropbox folder but the notification panel of the App.

Clicking on the Dropbox Icon in the Application bar should open the Dropbox folder 🙂

You can double-click on the Dropbox icon in the taskbar to open the folder.

I hope this clarifies the situation!

Anvit S.
New member | Level 1

Hi,

I understand that clicking on the tray icon opens up a list.

But, previously, double clicking on dropbox tray icon used to open up explorer for dropbox folder.

I really got used to opening up the files through this method. Is this disabled in newly released build ? If so, is there any way to enable it ?

Would like to hear any development regarding this feature.

Thank You.

Anvit

Florian G.2
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I am having the same "issue". Tought it is a problem on my side first. I hope they will change it back to the old behaviour.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid it's not possible anymore to open the Dropbox folder by double-clicking on the Dropbox icon.

However if you click once on the icon and then on the home icon on the upper right hand corner on the notification panel, it'll open the folder.

The Dropbox folder should also be in your favorites in Windows explorer 🙂

I hope this helped and wish you a lovely day!

Tim R.6
New member | Level 2

This is a terribly inconvenient change. Please bring that functionality back!

Hank P.
New member | Level 1

Adding my severe disappointment that double click to open folder was removed. I've been double clicking this icon for the last few days thinking something was wrong when it wouldn't respond. After multiple restarts and Dropbox reinstalls, I finally thought to myself: "Maybe they are silly enough to remove a useful feature? I can't imagine this would happen, but let's check anyway..."

and here we are! One search brought me many threads and many posts of people complaining about this change.

Please revert this change. It serves no real purpose. Platform consistency? If it we were still in the days of single button mice on Macs would you prevent windows users from right clicking in your program just so Mac users can have platform consistency? Platform consistency has to be one of the absolute worst reasons to remove a useful UX feature. "Well, our Mac and Linux users don't have this great feature, maybe we should remove it from Windows!" Is that really what happened here? I cannot fathom how that thought made it all the way to actual, real, push-to-live release state!

Most importantly: why on earth did you hide access to the main feature of Dropbox (your local Dropbox folder) behind an extra click-and-navigate movement? And which project manager thought making it harder to access the most important product of your company behind an extra mouse move was a good idea? Ignore the whole aspect of platform consistency and ask yourself why Dropbox thought it would be a good change to make it harder to access the Dropbox folder on a users computer. I would love to hear the reply to that, even if you ignore the ridiculousness of platform consistency being the reason to remove a feature.

Van T.
New member | Level 1

Yes, this is very annoying. It takes 2 clicks to open the Windows Explorer. Having a recents files list is useless

Ben M.26
New member | Level 1

Latest stable build 3.10.7 brings the function back 😄

Latest experimental build 3.11.32 does not though...

Rob M.27
New member | Level 1

Would love to have this back as well. I never use the one-click panel, I just want to get to the Dropbox folder in a single double-click.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?