cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a *saved* Excel file stored in Dropbox folder

Closing a *saved* Excel file stored in Dropbox folder

TogsTeam
Explorer | Level 3

Here's a strange one: After I work in an Excel file that's stored in a Dropbox folder - if I save it first, and then close the file, I get an error message that 'Excel has stopped working. Restarting....'  If I close the file and save it while exiting Excel, I don't get the error. (I don't have this issue with Word docs stored in Dropbox.)

Windows 10, Excel 2013, all upgrades installed. I've run the Quick Repair for my Office install. I'm reluctant to do the online repair, because last time it crashed my Outlook install.

Suggestions?

11 Replies 11

Re: Closing a *saved* Excel file stored in Dropbox folder

Rich
Super User II
Have you tested with an Excel file that's not stored in Dropbox?

TogsTeam
Explorer | Level 3

@Rich wrote:
Have you tested with an Excel file that's not stored in Dropbox?

Yes, I'm in and out of Excel files all day long, and there's never a problem with saving a file to a local folder, then closing it.

Mark
Super User II
Which versions of Excel and Dropbox?

Oh and OS?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

TogsTeam
Explorer | Level 3

As noted in my original post: Windows 10, Excel 2013, all upgrades installed. Dropbox is 39.4.49.

@Mark wrote:
Which versions of Excel and Dropbox?

Oh and OS?

Mark
Super User II
But which specific version of Excel 2013 and Windows 10?

Sometimes different versions are only available in certain localities.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Abue
Helpful | Level 5

ave you tried disabling the dropbox floating icon in office? I've had that issue before, sometimes it seems like the badge or plugin causes problems. 

Have you been able to isolate it to only the dropbox folder, or does excel crash if the file is saved anywhere else?

TogsTeam
Explorer | Level 3

@Mark wrote:
But which specific version of Excel 2013 and Windows 10?

Sometimes different versions are only available in certain localities.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'm running Office Home & Office 2013 and Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

TogsTeam
Explorer | Level 3

@Abue wrote:

ave you tried disabling the dropbox floating icon in office? I've had that issue before, sometimes it seems like the badge or plugin causes problems. 

In my Dropbox settings, I have "Show Dropbox as a save location in Office" UNCHECKED.  Is that the floating icon you're talking about?  If not, then how do I find and disable it?

Have you been able to isolate it to only the dropbox folder, or does excel crash if the file is saved anywhere else?

The error does not occur when I save Excel files anywhere else besides the Dropbox folder.

Abue
Helpful | Level 5

I see the same checkbox within the dropbox badge in word or excel.  Yeah, what i'm referring to is the "Show dropbox as a save location in Microsoft Office".

Just to make sure, this is how I'm accessing those settings although I'm sure you can do it through the dropbox icon in the notification bar.

Open any word document or excel from dropbox,  find the floating badge (dropbox icon which you can move around in Excel/Word), right click it and you will see "Preferences" also "Hide" beside it. Hit preferences and try checking the "Show dropbox as a save location in Microsoft Office" option.  Also, try it unchecked, I'm hoping it will affect it positively. Also try hiding the badge in case it's the actual badge causing the issue.

Alternatively, it might be an issue with where dropbox is located in your drive. I'm assuming it's by default in your Users folder.  You could try changing the path of the folder entirely to a separate drive and see if the issue keeps happening. To do so, simply right click on your dropbox icon in your notifications bar (bottom right), go to the Gear icon top right of the little menu, hit Preferences. Then go to the last tab where it says Sync, you will see the second subsection saying Dropbox folder location. You can change it there, I'm recommending to try it on a different drive and see how that fares. 

Keep me posted!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Abue Helpful | Level 5
    TogsTeam Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?