cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely removing Dropbox from my Macbook

Completely removing Dropbox from my Macbook

JeanPearce
New member | Level 2

I have read past posts on how to remove dropbox from my laptop.  I completely agree with a previous post that he came to hate Dropbox.  I feel exactly the same.  I tried removing the program from the applications in Finder rather than Launch Pad as he was instructed to do.  It did not work for me. I get the same message, over and over again, that the removal cannot be completed because it is open.  It is not open!!! I am so frustrated as to what to do next.  The chat aspect on the website is stupid.  I need human help.  Someone please help me!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Completely removing Dropbox from my Macbook

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @JeanPearce, thanks for taking the time to message us!

Could you check that the app isn't running on the menu bar at the top near the clock before you remove it from the Applications folder?

Have you tried all the steps in this article to uninstall the desktop app? Do you get any errors at a specific point during that?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @JeanPearce, thanks for taking the time to message us!

Could you check that the app isn't running on the menu bar at the top near the clock before you remove it from the Applications folder?

Have you tried all the steps in this article to uninstall the desktop app? Do you get any errors at a specific point during that?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

JeanPearce
New member | Level 2

Thank you so much for your help.

The information you gave me solved the problem.  I was still signed in via the icon by the clock.  I signed out of that and removed the program from the applications folder.

Thank you for ending my frustration.  I think this information should be made available on the "frequently asked questions" page of the website.  It is so difficult now, when it is not possible to speak to anyone or use the chat service manned by a human.

Kind regards, Jean

searchless1
Helpful | Level 5

I didi all the things in the link. Now, i get this message when i drag the app to the trash:

"The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its extensions are in use."

Please help

BTW, how do "you" know my email address to send notices to?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @searchless1, thanks for nudging us here. 

Could it be that there's another app using the Dropbox folder?

If needed, we can contact you with a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile. 

However, please have a look at your Activity Monitor and close any third party software that could be affecting this, before trying again, and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

searchless1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lusil!! Thanks for helping me!

I found this. But don't know how to "close any third party software that could be affecting this"Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 10.40.42 AM.png

after posting that i tried to delete it again (in apps grab n drag to the trash). It worked. I don't know what changed.

BUT then i found this in my library> group containers

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 10.59.45 AM.png

So, should i haul them to the trash also?

Of course you have my email address.
My Bad, as the young ones say.

Lusil
Dropboxer
You should be able to stop an app from running by selecting it from your Activity Monitor app, and clicking on the Stop button that's on the upper left corner. 

Give it a try and don't hesitate to get back to me if anything else comes up. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

searchless1
Helpful | Level 5

Well, just like i was able to drop dropbox in the trash, now those things in the activity monitor are gone.

It's the "BUT" remark i made that is my question now.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Apolgoies, @searchless1, I just saw the changes that you made to your post. 

Since you've uninstalled the desktop app and you removed the Dropbox folder, you should be able to delete those items as well. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

searchless1
Helpful | Level 5

Thank You Lusil!!  you were so fast replying (:open_mouth:amazing!:open_mouth:) that you didn't see my edit.

All done.:heart_eyes:

stay safe and healthy! Open your heart and have a conversation with those you love - talk about ALL the things you feel, "good" and "not so good" and listen to theirs too, to clear the space between you, so there's nothing left but what always is, and only is - for real - LOVE. 

Sending love to you Lusil.Heart 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    KWG New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropboxer
    searchless1 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?