cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer not connecting?

Computer not connecting?

AmyC
Helpful | Level 5

I noticed today that screenshots taken on my MacBook are no longer auto saving to Dropbox. 

When I go to the Dropbox icon-> Preferences -> Import, the checkbox to share screenshots is not clickable. When I click on Account, it says "This computer isn't linked to an account" and the only option is the button "Unlink This Dropbox". Proxy settings have Enable LAN sync and is set to Auto-Detect, all Notifications are selected, and Sync options are not clickable.

I have Dropbox 55.4.171

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Computer not connecting?

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @AmyC - I appreciate it. 

Can you try an advanced re-install to see if this will fix this?

If the problem persists, please attach a screenshot in your next response here.

Thank you in advance and have a good day!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Set the Proxy setting to No Proxy.

AmyC
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks. Set to No Proxy but my sync is still not happy. Also tried rebooting both computer and internet connection. 

So bizarre. Was working fine yesterday. Only thing I remember doing out of the ordinary yesterday was drag a bunch of screenshots pngs and photo jpgs (synced from my iphone camera) to my hard drive.

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists for you Amy ( @AmyC) - have you tried disabling your antivirus ( or any type of security programs you might have installed on your computer) to see if this is what's preventing the desktop application from connecting to our servers?

To resolve this issue, please try temporarily disabling or uninstalling your antivirus or security program, and then restart your computer.

If the issue is resolved after temporarily disabling or uninstalling your antivirus or security program, you should ensure that you configure these applications not to block Dropbox if you choose to reinstall these.

Keep us posted on how this goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AmyC
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter - Thanks very much for the suggestion. I did have Kaspersky installed earlier this year and it 100% blocked Dropbox from working. However, I uninstalled it ages ago because I preferred to have Dropbox working, and do not have such a program on my Mac currently.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @AmyC - I appreciate it. 

Can you try an advanced re-install to see if this will fix this?

If the problem persists, please attach a screenshot in your next response here.

Thank you in advance and have a good day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Nino1969
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I have exactly the same problem as AmyC and it's making me desperate.

I have tried everything of the above and more.  Reinstalled everything but no go.

At this moment the Dropbox app on my desktop fails to make a secure internet connection and no one can help me.

I can send a picture of the error I get but it's in Dutch (since I'm from belgium) but what it comes down to is this :

"Dropbox can't make a secure connection since the date and time on your computer are incorrect.  Update the settings for date and time".

Very weird since the date and time on my computer are correct !

Desperate for help 😞

Nino VAN EECKHOUT

BELGIUM

Nino1969
New member | Level 2

Walter,

By the way my system works on Windows 7 Professional so AmyC here problem and mine are not Apple or Windos related I think...

Regards,

Nino.

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this Nino - let's take a look into this :nerd: 

Having said that and as I'd like to help with this; have you taken a look here yet? 

Bear in mind that your computer will compare your system date to the expiration date of our SSL certificate. If your system time is stuck in the past or so far in the future that it’s outside of Dropbox's SSL certificate expiration date, a secure connection can’t be established.

To correct this, change your system time to the current date (either on your computer, your router, or both).

A slight note on this one: System time is different than the date/time that appears in the system tray or menu bar of your computer. Check the macOS or Windows help centers for more info.

Let me know how this goes and keep in mind that a screenshot of any error you get is always appreciated @Nino1969 ( even in Dutch :grin: ) !

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Nino1969
New member | Level 2

Walter,

All mighty Jezus.  I've found the solution due to one of your links. 

Major problem was ESET Virus scanner.  I had to select in ESET "Always scan SSL protocol" and select "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking" in HTTPS scanner setup.

Next to that semect "no proxy's" in the proxy's in Dropbox app.

Up and running again.

THANKS 🙂 🙂 🙂

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    mrfine00 Explorer | Level 4
    AmyC Helpful | Level 5
    Nino1969 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?