cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer reset and when i reloaded dropbox it opened a new account

Computer reset and when i reloaded dropbox it opened a new account

sarah31
Explorer | Level 3

My computer crashed and had to be reset to when I bought it. When I reloaded dropbox, it gave me a new account although I have the same email address and password. How can I find the old account with all my files on it? 

6 Replies 6

Re: Computer reset and when i reloaded dropbox it opened a new account

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @sarah31, I'm sorry to hear about that!

Did you have to create a new account, or did you try signing in to see the account was empty?

If you check your Events page here, do you see any deletion events in the account?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sarah31
Explorer | Level 3

I signed into Dropbox from my LastPass account, and it went to this new account.

My computer is now called ‘redpc’ – I don’t know what it was called previously, but I had to give it a new name when the computer was reset and started again ‘as new’. Dropbox seems to think I’ve only just joined it.

I’m not sure what you mean by my Events page. I’ve looked at the list which shows folder history and it only goes back to yesterday.

sarah31
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, 

I'm wondering if you - (or anyone else out there !)- have any suggestions about this? - finding my lost Dropbox account, I mean

Best wishes

Sarah

Daphne
Dropboxer

Apologies for the late reply here @sarah31!

It seems the link didn't work there, the events page for your account is here: www.dropbox.com/events

This will show the activity from the last 6 months within your account.

Let me know what you find there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sarah31
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, thanks for getting back to me - I found the Events page, but sadly it only goes back to September 9th when I reloaded Dropbox. I think its to do with having to 'rename' the computer; I reckon it thinks I'm a new person, but I don't understand why my email and password don't recall the earlier computer. I've had Dropbox on several computers. 

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @sarah31, it does sound like the account is new, so has no files on it. Are you certain that the Dropbox account is the same as the one you've used on previous machines?

Do you have any of them still connected to the Dropbox app to check the email address?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?