Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Conflict between Dropbox and Firefox (weird issue help)

Helpful | Level 5

Hello !

I'm facing an extemly weird and frustrating issue since few days on my windows 7 64bit familly premium.
What's happening is I barely cannot use Firefox (up to date) or any Firefox webbrowser based on Firefox like Waterfox.

Each 5 seconds, Firefox is freezing and not allow any action on it during 2 or 3 seconds, then unlock for the next 5 seconds.

I tried all internet solution I found, and finally find by myself that if I close Dropbox, the problem stop. Stop synchronize is not enought, I really need to quit it (if I launch Firefox in safe mode, everyhting work fine with or without dropbox launched).

I'm a Dropbox user since the begining so I wanted to share this issue here in case of it point more potential serious problems, and if any one have an idea about what is hapening, I will be glad to hear that !

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Conflict between Dropbox and Firefox (weird issue help)

Helpful | Level 5

Hello and thanks for your help,

the issue as been correcred by itself this morning. It seem that it was coming from Firefox side cause my firefox language dictionaries was disable and I ad to re-install them. I can't explain how and why but it seem that it was link to them.

So, if ever somebody experience the same problem, look on the langauge pack side.

Thanks for your help !

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
You havent got your Firefox profile inside the Dropbox syncing directory have you?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the fast answer, could be but no, I have no any system file (neither from firefox or windows) on my Dropbox folder :(

Highlighted

Super User
Super User
How old is the computer? Is it just Firefox or do other things freeze as well? Try using Chrome for a while to see if it happens there as well.

There's a chance that it could be failing hardware (like the hard drive or RAM). You could also try reinstalling Windows or running a virus scan.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

The computer is not very old, I'm advanced Pc user (I build & install my computers since 1995) so everything is up to date, checked and protected (anti virus/ fitewal / anti malware).

The weird thing is that it's only occure with Firefox, no other web browser (and as I said when Firefox is launch in safe mode their is no problem too).

I will probably do a total re-installation but I wanted to give this information to Dropbox staff cause it can be a clue for some other issues.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
We appreciate your update here spacemonkeyprod!  

As this issue is specific to Firefox for you (based on your description), then it’s highly likely that there’s a software conflict that’s causing your browser to crash. You may clear your browser's cache & restore your browser to its default settings (as well as disable browser plugins) & take it from there, in order to locate the culprit, as what you’re experiencing is probably the result of a security setting or a plugin that you have installed on your browser.

Hopefully this helps you shed some light on this discrepancy, though I’m always here in case you need further assistance. Thanks again for posting your findings here & I hope you have a lovely rest of the day ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your answer,

I made a browser reset, re-instalation and I have no plugins instaled, but the issue is still there.

The conflict might be between some firefox function cause when firefox is in safe mode their is no problems :/

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate your prompt follow-up here spacemonkeyprod!

As for the time being, you could use a different browser to accomplish your tasks within the Dropbox website, though you may need to troubleshoot the browser-specific behavior through trial & error.

Because you’ve mentioned that everything works as expected while browsing in safe mode, I’d suggest trying to enable extensions & plugins gradually & take it from there (meaning based on your findings each time). 

I hope that this tip helps you narrow down the causes & please let me know here if more assistance is required! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hello and thanks for your help,

the issue as been correcred by itself this morning. It seem that it was coming from Firefox side cause my firefox language dictionaries was disable and I ad to re-install them. I can't explain how and why but it seem that it was link to them.

So, if ever somebody experience the same problem, look on the langauge pack side.

Thanks for your help !

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for coming back and posting your solution! We’re glad that you figured this out

Cheers! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?