cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant prompts when I delete or move files!

Constant prompts when I delete or move files!

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 9

Every time I move or delete files inside my dropbox, the app prompts me. "Are you sure you want to delete this file and 94 other files? Other people won't be able to get to them. Why don't you leave them in the cloud? Why don't you retrieve in your deletes later? etc etc etc

Then it does it again right after because I'm deleting and moving litterally thousands of files at a time. My finger is getting tired of clicking on the prompts. 

HOW DO I STOP THIS RIDICULOUS MADNESS?????!!!! I can't find anywhere to turn this off. Who voted for this new feature?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Constant prompts when I delete or move files!

Rich
Super User II

It's because your files are online-only or within shared folders. The randomness isn't random at all, I'm guessing. You delete or move a large number of folders and as each one is synced, you receive the message.

This is intended behavior to ensure you realize what is happening to the files. Since Dropbox has stated that they can't be disabled, and you're clearly bothered by them, I can only suggest that you start a thread in the Share feedback forum if you haven't already.

Also, please refrain from using profanity on these forums (even acronyms of profanity) as you could find your posts edited (like above), deleted, or your account suspended. Thank you.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 9
... Tech support has just told me there is no way to get rid of this prompt. Fabulous! Enjoy. I get them randomly. About a dozen today.

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 9

Screenshot 2018-02-16 13.29.35.png

All day long...

Rich
Super User II

@larsdennert wrote:
I get them randomly. About a dozen today.

Randomly, as in they appear without you actually moving or deleting anything in the Dropbox folder?

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 9
Randomly as in I delete or move files and sometimes ten minutes later I get a prompt. Someone's an hour later. Sometimes 5 prompts. Sometimes no complaints at all.

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 9

OMG now it's every time I delete a file I get the prompt about it not going to my recycle bin because it is online. [profanity removed by moderator]

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 9

Screenshot 2018-02-16 21.05.10.png

After the first 100 times of seeing this message, it seems they could assume I know that I want to delete a file.

Rich
Super User II

It's because your files are online-only or within shared folders. The randomness isn't random at all, I'm guessing. You delete or move a large number of folders and as each one is synced, you receive the message.

This is intended behavior to ensure you realize what is happening to the files. Since Dropbox has stated that they can't be disabled, and you're clearly bothered by them, I can only suggest that you start a thread in the Share feedback forum if you haven't already.

Also, please refrain from using profanity on these forums (even acronyms of profanity) as you could find your posts edited (like above), deleted, or your account suspended. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    larsdennert Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?