cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Constant update notifications

Constant update notifications

MWulfe
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am getting frequent notifications to update my Windows desktop Dropbox app, requesting permission to make changes to my system.  It doesn't matter whether I respond yes or no, nothing happens after that.  It just keeps happening over and over again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Sounds like the install is corrupt.

Can you try and advanced one?  https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have you tried manually updating?

www.dropbox.com/downloading

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MWulfe
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I have tried this, several times including just now, when I clicked on the link in your message.  Here's what happens.

I downloaded the install file (again), and executed it, responded "Yes" to the security question, and it started the install with the progress bar showing progress.  Then that dialog box disappears, then... nothing.

I have waited about 10 minutes while checking task manager for any activity, and it has remained unchanged:

Clipboard01.jpg

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Sounds like the install is corrupt.

Can you try and advanced one?  https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall 

Daphne0809
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!

If you check the configuration section of Dropbox desktop app, you can change your preferences regarding notifications. 

I don't know if you tried that, but I hope it works!

Regards. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey MWulfe, I’d just like to follow-up on this matter & I hope you’re doing well today!

Have you been able to carry the steps Mark suggested above? Do you still experience the same behavior?

Please keep us updated here, in order to check the case together. Many thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

MWulfe
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Manual update worked, thanks for your help!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ah, that's great to hear & thanks for confirming!

Happy syncing ahead & I hope you have a lovely weekend MWulfe:slight_smile:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jfei
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Different user here, but I have the same problem with the update always popping up and nothing happening. When I tried to manually update then it says it failed because of "error 0x80004002." Please help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jfei; welcome aboard and sorry to hear you're having issues with this as well.

As Mark mentions this error usually signifies a corrupt installation.

That being said and as I've discussed this extensively with some other users in the past, I'd suggest that you start from this discussion (cross-linking here for reference):

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?