cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacts - one is being ignored by Dropbox

Contacts - one is being ignored by Dropbox

zaqxsw
Helpful | Level 5

I import my iPhone contacts into Dropbox via the IOS Dropbox app.  My iPhone gets the contacts from my Google account.  All seems to work well except for one contact.

Dropbox will not recognize this contact no matter what I do:

- I've cleared all manually added contacts.

- I've disconnected my Google account from Dropbox so that it would only use the iPhone sync.

- I've disabled the iPhone sync, and reconnected the Google account.

- I've deleted the contact from Google contacts and added it back in.

-I've disconnected all of the above from Dropbox, signed out, shutdown the app, cleared everything again, and re-enabled the iPhone sync.

All of the other contacts I try, work, and sync immediately if I change any of them.  It just seems to be this one contact.  It's like it is blocked in Dropbox...

Thanks for any replies!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Contacts - one is being ignored by Dropbox

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for your ongoing troubleshooting throughout this, @zaqxsw!

It could be the app is picking up the way that the user has their name submitted, however, I'm not able to pin-point the exact reason for this behavior. Nonetheless, thank you so much for troubleshooting this throughout and for the feedback. 

I understand if this isn't the ideal reply you were looking for on the matter, but if you have any other questions in the future, don't hesitate to get back to us. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @zaqxsw, let's see what we can find on this together. 

At first, awesome work on the troubleshooting - definitely gives us a better understanding of your concern. 

Just to make sure I have a solid understanding of what you're seeing, could you let me know if you see any error messages come up when importing the contacts, or does that one contact simply not show up? 

Keep me posted, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

zaqxsw
Helpful | Level 5
Thanks!

No error messages. Seems to work great. I can add a new contact in Google and it shows up available in Dropbox within a minute. Same with editing an existing one.

It would seem that the issue with the problem contact must be the email address, as I can rename it and it still will not show up.

zaqxsw
Helpful | Level 5

Here is another clue.  If I just type the letter "c" in Sharing | Send to, the problem contact appears and is called "CS".  There is no CS in my iPhone/Google contacts.  The email address associated with this "CS" is the one for the contact that I have fully named and can't get to show.  Even though I have cleared manually added contacts, and everything else I can think of, this "CS" contact is stuck in Dropbox somewhere.

Because it uses the same email address, it must prevent the real contact from showing.

Clipboard01.jpg

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information, @zaqxsw!

Hmm. :thinking: I understand that you've cleared manually added contacts already, but could you try clearing the Dropbox mobile app's cache? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

zaqxsw
Helpful | Level 5

No joy...  The non-exintant contact "CS" doesn't show up in the app.  Just in the Dropbox website.  But, the real contact isn't appearing in the app either.

So, I cleared the app cache, but "CS" still shows on the website, and the real contact's name won't appear in either the app or the website.

Thanks for your time, maybe this is just one of those things?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hmm. :thinking: Do you by any chance have any pending updates for your iOS? Could you also confirm for me if you're on the latest version of your OS? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

zaqxsw
Helpful | Level 5

Both my iPhone and my Windows 10 systems are running the very latest IOS or OS versions.

The issue has to be with Google contacts.  If I disable any sync with my Google account and with my iPhone, Dropbox doesn't show the ghost contact.  I then changed and just let Dropbox sync directly with my Google account contact list.  The ghost contact comes back.

I've searched a long time on how to clean up Google contacts, and have done everything I've found.  Somehow "CS" is stuck in my Google contacts.  I don't think it is Dropbox anymore, but that is the only place I see it.

The ghost contact is the email address I want for the real contact's name, so the workaround is just to use it...  The funny thing is... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, Dropbox says I manually added it!!!!   :sob:

I think I'm done...  :upside_down:

Lusil
Dropboxer

Just one last idea, @zaqxsw! Is it possible that the contact has their username named like as such, or could it be their initials?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

zaqxsw
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, it is just the real contacts initials.  The actual contact has a full first and last name.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    zaqxsw Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?