cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Context Menu Not Appearing

Context Menu Not Appearing

don2d23
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The Dropbox Right-click/Context Menu option does not appear any more in Windows Explorer 8.1

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @don2d23 thanks for the detailed response on this. 

Initially, keep in mind that double-clicking on the Dropbox icon would indeed open the Dropbox folder. Clicking on it once should have the notifications/pop-up menu appear. Are you not seeing this when you click once on the Dropbox icon? 

Also, out of curiosity, have you given the advanced reinstall a shot as well? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know of any update on the matter! :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @don2d23, thanks for getting back to me on this and for providing the screenshots - much appreciated!

In order to continue troubleshooting for this, due to account-sensitive info that’s required so as to further investigate, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email. For this reason, I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. Could you please check your inbox for my latest message?

Cheers! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @don2d23

Initially, could you check if the Dropbox desktop app is running and you’re on the latest stable version (53.4.66)? You can do so by hovering over your Dropbox icon that’s next to your clock. 

A screenshot of your context menu (omitting any personal info) as well as more info on what you’re trying to achieve would be very helpful as well. Thanks in advance! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

don2d23
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

hello Lusil, thanks for replying so quickly.

I actually have version 53.4.67 when I hover over the tray icon.

Here is the screen shot you requested, (I hope this helps you understand what I'm looking for):

Screenshot 2018-07-15 17.11.jpg

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Dropbox on that doesnt seem to be running (there are no context menus on some files).

Or, its not installed correctly. Have you tried a reinstall using the offline installer from www.dropbox.com/downloading?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

don2d23
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

yes I did ... the latest [and greatest?] version is installed ... rebooted several times. I'm running Windows 8.1 (perhaps this is the problem. Should I go back to an earlier version that is compatible with 8.1, and if so how do I do that?) ... otherwise, the DropBox desktop application is working fine (to a degree): I click the desktop icon (actually I have to double click it "twice" for it to run ... it never starts on the first set of double clicks), then the window shows me all my folders and files, and everything matches my online account ... just no context menu on ANY files (you mentioned "some files"; it's every file: the DropBox integration with Windows Explorer is just not happening.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @don2d23 thanks for the detailed response on this. 

Initially, keep in mind that double-clicking on the Dropbox icon would indeed open the Dropbox folder. Clicking on it once should have the notifications/pop-up menu appear. Are you not seeing this when you click once on the Dropbox icon? 

Also, out of curiosity, have you given the advanced reinstall a shot as well? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know of any update on the matter! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

don2d23
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I knew the "clicking" reference and description would confuse. Yes I always double-click icons. Problem is with the DropBox icon (and with no other icon on my desktop) I have to double-click TWICE! The first set of double-clicks seems to do nothing at all, no matter how long I give it a chance to start the program. But double-clicking a second time always does the trick.

Again, this happens ONLY with the DropBox desktop icon. All other programs open perfectly everytime with a single DOUBLE-click.

This has been going on for many years, through several DropBox app updates. I have no real problem with it. I've come to expect it now and automatically double-click twice. No biggie.

However, as for the context menu problem: I will try the advance install you suggest. I did not know about this feature.

Please expect me back here either way. 😉

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the prompt reply, @don2d23

That’s no problem, give us a shout when you’ve got any news on this. :sunglasses: In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

don2d23
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well I finally got around to the advanced reinstall ... quite a process. But, alas, no context menu. However, one thing it did resolve was the double-clicking "twice" problem. Now I can just double-click only once (like a normal program icon) and my DropBox folder opens up! Not the fix I was looking for, but at least that tedious annoyance seems to be out of the way.

😉

Thank you, Lusil, for pointing me in that direction. But are there any other suggestions to get back the right click DropBox integration with Windows Explorer?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @don2d23, I’m glad to hear one of the two issues is resolved! 

As for your other concern, since you reinstalled the Dropbox desktop app, have you given it time to re-index? What does the status of your Dropbox desktop app read? 

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    rbirmann New member | Level 2
    don2d23 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?