cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting FROM Finder/File Explorer TO Dropbox App

Converting FROM Finder/File Explorer TO Dropbox App

MarkieG
New member | Level 2

Hi Community - 

My team uses the Dropbox desktop app, but we're having challenges switching from the view being in the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) when we open the desktop app. We want to open the app and have it appear in the Dropbox app, not in Finder or File Explorer. 

I see how easy it is to switch from the app to either Finder or File Explorer (User Icon or initials in corner > Preferences), but not the other way around. 

Help please!? I've reached out to Dropbox help and haven't heard back. 

Thank you! 

MarkieG

4 Replies 4

Re: Converting FROM Finder/File Explorer TO Dropbox App

Elixir
Super User

You can open Dropbox Preferences (click the Dropbox icon in menubar/taskbar >> click profile icon >> select preferences). In the General tab, set Open folder in : Dropbox desktop app. You should be able to switch back. 

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 12.31.05 AM.png

MarkieG
New member | Level 2

Thanks Elixer - that is the issue though, the icon does not appear when opening the Dropbox app when accessing it (menubar/taskbar).

MarkieG_0-1633109029706.png

There is no profile icon from which to select Preferences because it's only opening in the File Explorer. 

MarkieG
New member | Level 2

While I'm not on a Mac myself, when I tried to troubleshoot with a Mac user, and the icon was not there also. Just opened the Finder. No "General", "Preferences", etc. 

I dunno if it's something we need to delete and reinstall over... 

Elixir
Super User

@MarkieG Can you please try clicking the Dropbox taskbar/menubar icon while holding CONTROL key on Windows and Option key on macOS? You should see Preferences... menu there.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Elixir Super User
    MarkieG New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?