cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct way to change dropbox folder in Linux?

Correct way to change dropbox folder in Linux?

rmills
New member | Level 2

Headless Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (up to date) on an ESXi server.

On this server we have a folder we want to share with our team. I would think this was a simple task for dropbox but I am clearly mistaken. So far searching this forum has been a waste of time, so much outdated information. Server has a 2nd mounted drive that holds all the data. This is far to much to move to the ~/Dropbox folder. I just want to sync that folder located like /media/storage1/syncme. So far I have installed the CLI dropbox that has no options to move it or even pick where its installed. I installed xrdp and xfce to remote in and install the Dropbox GUI as many posts say you can only move with the GUI version. The GUI version has no "move" option under "sync" or anywhere for that matter desipe it being in the official help documents. Symbolic links don't work . Lastly I tried to mount the folder and got the error /folder/path is not a block device. 3 hours to do what I expected would be a simple task seems like a bit much.

Before I give up and try a different product is there a working method for syncing a folder outside the home folder on linux?

2 Replies 2

Re: Correct way to change dropbox folder in Linux?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @rmills,

Very strange. :thinking: Can you post a screen shot of your Sync tab in the Preferences?

Re: Correct way to change dropbox folder in Linux?

rmills
New member | Level 2

Seems to be a bug, after I restarted dropbox it showed up, the first time I ran it the whole move section was missing. Seems to be working now.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?