cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't Start Dropbox - Permissions Error

Couldn't Start Dropbox - Permissions Error

Kuby
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I recently changed the name of my Home Folder and Home Directory.

Now when I try to run Dropbox I receive the following error: 

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 11.28.17 AM.png

Any advice for how to correct the issue?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Couldn't Start Dropbox - Permissions Error

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Kuby wrote:

Hi @Kuby,

Big mistake is change any system directory name related to Dropbox (such as the home) while the application is in link! That what you have done. Before such a change you have to unlink your application and link it back at the end. Now, since you can't break the link in the usual way, you have to forcibly unlink it, using following command:

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

After that, run the application and link it back, as usual (in the same way if you have unlinked it in advance in usual way). Be more careful in future! 😉

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Здравко

@Kuby wrote:

Hi @Kuby,

Big mistake is change any system directory name related to Dropbox (such as the home) while the application is in link! That what you have done. Before such a change you have to unlink your application and link it back at the end. Now, since you can't break the link in the usual way, you have to forcibly unlink it, using following command:

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

After that, run the application and link it back, as usual (in the same way if you have unlinked it in advance in usual way). Be more careful in future! 😉

Hope this helps.

Kuby
New member | Level 2

That worked perfectly thank you!

baldcats
New member | Level 2

Where do you type in that command!  Please explain simply

Здравко

Hi @baldcats,

The command, you are asking on, is a shell command. Like every one shell command it executes on place where shell runs (of course). Most typical such place is some terminal (executed using your applications set typically; take a look there - should be able find it out, it's preinstalled). There are other possibilities, of course, but they are less common.

Make a note that the same message doesn't mean the same issue!!! Unfortunately, Dropbox messages are far from informative. Any exceptional event that the application can't solve itself results in the same message view. Good example is OP of the current thread. 😁 There you can see some permission problems are pointed as guilty. 😜 Nothing similar, no permission issue take place! 🤫 That's it.

Be careful when you try something! It might not be for you. Take a look on bit more detailed information pointed with blue link (the txt file). If you are not familiar with the info there, post here so somebody could be able direct you. In your case, a real permission issue could exists.

Good luck. 😉

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    baldcats New member | Level 2
    Kuby New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?