cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Couldn't Start Dropbox - macOS Monterey

Couldn't Start Dropbox - macOS Monterey

amiralin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After installing the new macOS Monterey I am getting the below error 

Couldn't start Dropbox

This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error. For more information, click the help button below.

I tried to remove dropbox using instructions on the website and re-install using advance install and still see the error. 

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 133.4.4089
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 51
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 523bf589-eb29-56d6-9beb-1631aa56ce2b
pid: 1077
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='amirnathoo', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Amirali Nathoo', pw_dir='/Users/amirnathoo', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='amirnathoo', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Amirali Nathoo', pw_dir='/Users/amirnathoo', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/amirnathoo'
appdata: '/Users/amirnathoo/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/amirnathoo/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/amirnathoo/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/amirnathoo/Dropbox'
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/xq/rpxg71x17dj4ylbw_svqhdjc0000gn/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/xq/rpxg71x17dj4ylbw_svqhdjc0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 808, in wrapper
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6497, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 307, in _wrapped
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6030, in _init_components_for_account
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5954, in create_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 226, in make_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 280, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 222, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 152, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 217, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 587, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 185, in __init__
  File "desktop/extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 76, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> fchflags syscall: _set_hidden |>> Permission denied"

please assist

91 Replies 91

anilaver
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Following these permissions settings fixes from Jay did the trick for me!

JohnWoo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Amiralin, this method worked for me. Thanks!

Dear Dropbox Team, can you release a fix to solve this issue systemtically?

johnneet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Followed instructions, was unable to make changes to "files & folders".  DropBox label in faded mode. Locked and unlocked several times, rebooted several times, unable to make changes. Remains in fade mode. No issues with changing privacy and accessibility access.  I rebooted computer and DropBox loaded and synced with no error message.  Retried to make changes in "files and folders" with same lack of result. Test loaded files, seemed to be able to do so on about ten files I checked, but it seems that the loading was a bit slower than before. Dropbox seems to work ok at this point without being able to change the permissions on "files & folders" (remains unchecked). 

Security concern that DropBox is able to access files and folders WITHOUT permission. Am I missing something here?

johnneet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I think I answered my own question.

Solution 1-I was only able to change the settings in "files and folders" if I unchecked permissions for "full disc access". Changed order pf instructions and changed settings in "files and folders" first after unchecking "full disc access". My assumption is that if you give permission for "full disc access" that probably gives permission for "files and folders" as well, so he additional instruction may be superfluous.

Solution 2-On a Mac forum, the instructions are to give permission for "full disc access" and "files and folders" and "accessibility" are not mentioned in the instructions. Tried it and it worked as well.

Robb_Boyd
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This worked for me as well. Not sure why since it had been working fine for a day or so on this new mac.  Either way...this helped.  Thank you. 

LunaLeoni
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello everyone! 

I have the same problem on my Mac. Someone can help me (in Italian would be better).

I already followed the different suggestions, but no one worked for me.

Concerning "permissions" I do not have the possibility to click on the Dropbox icon for accessibility and disco.

What can I do?

Steve C.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

THIS WAS THE SOLUTION!  thanks.

after Monterey upgrade, accessibility was still check for dropbox, but NOT full disk access.

SteveC13_0-1637264965888.png

Mhymus
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you - that worked.

amiralin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
If your settings are greyed out then try clicking on the lock icon at the bottom try clicking on it to unlock and enter your password. It will give you the option to enable it. The you can Enable the options provided in the solution.

FAS1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For me this worked like a charm, thanks a lot!!

Need more support?