cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. on OS X

Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. on OS X

DLH
Explorer | Level 4

Today, 16.4.29 was pushed out to one of my computers running OS X 10.6.8. After that the Dropbox app would not start with the error: "Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error."

After trying a few things, I copied 15.4.22 from another computer. It launched fine. About 45 minutes later I got the error again and checked and 16.4.29 had again been pushed out.

While this issue is being resolved, is there a way I can prevent it from autoupdating? At least then my files would continue to sync.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rif.: Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. on OS X

Didier C.
Collaborator | Level 9

Dropbox has released a new stable build numbered as 16.4.30 that solves the problem. You can download it from here (prefer the offline installer...): https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-16-4-30/td-p/199070

View solution in original post

51 Replies 51

Re: Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. on OS X

van
Helpful | Level 6

@DLH wrote:

Today, 16.4.29 was pushed out to one of my computers running OS X 10.6.8. After that the Dropbox app would not start with the error: "Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error."

After trying a few things, I copied 15.4.22 from another computer. It launched fine. About 45 minutes later I got the error again and checked and 16.4.29 had again been pushed out.

While this issue is being resolved, is there a way I can prevent it from autoupdating? At least then my files would continue to sync.

My iMac computer that has 16.4.29 on it did the same thing, but my MacBookPro laptop that has 15.4.22 on it is working just fine. The main thing is that the icon on my toolbar across the top of my screen has disappeared. I had Disk Utility repair permissions but it made no difference. Then I tried to unlink and then relink my computer but that didn't work because I got no prompt screen to relink. Now I am unlinked and can't find out how to relink. The "Couldn't start Dropbox" alert box said to contact support with some info that it was showing at the bottom of the box and I have done that. Now awaiting a reply (they said 1-3 days).

Re: Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. on OS X

DLH
Explorer | Level 4

Van,

Out of curiousity, what version of OS X is on your iMac?

The machine I have the issue with is running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

It looks like my MBP was updated to 16.4.29 today and it's working fine. I'm running 10.11.6 (El Capitan) on it.

I also have a report submitted to support. I'll post here when I hear back and have a solution.

Thanks for the confirmation that it's more then just me!

van
Helpful | Level 6

I run OSX 10.6.8 on both computer and laptop.

DLH
Explorer | Level 4

Van,

I hope your MBP isn't pushed the 16.4.29 update. I really think there is an issue with it and 10.6.8.

I can delete 16.4.29 and restore 15.4.22 on the iMac running 10.6.8 and it will start, run and sync fine until it's pushed an update to the latest release.

DrTofu83
Explorer | Level 3

The very same thing happens to me.
I even tried to install Dropbox on a clean install of OS X 10.6.8, but as soon as I get the 16.4.29 version, everything stops working

van
Helpful | Level 6

The Dropbox version on my MacBookPro is version 16.4.29. Not sure how long it's been on there, but it still works just fine. It's the version 16.4.29 on my iMac that isn't working. And now it's no longer linked because when I tried to do the unlink/relink thing I couldn't get it relinked.

Colas
Explorer | Level 3
OSX 10.6.8 SNOW LEOPARD.

Dropbox 16.4.29

Not working!

snichols
New member | Level 2
Yep - I'm in the same boat. Dropbox stopped working on Snow Leopard this morning.

As everything I do is synched across numerous machines via Dropbox I'm stuffed!

Steve

Rif.: Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. on OS X

Colas
Explorer | Level 3

I know they dont love to dowgrade dropbox but...

the previous version of dropbox 15.4.22 works fine with my OSX 10.6.8 snow leopard.

So I just disinstalled the lkast version of dropbox 16.4.29, and then I've installed the 15.4.22 version from this link:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-15-4-22/m-p/195732#M3502

NOW IT'S WORKING FINE.

I'm waiting for the auto update..... but i hope it wont arrive! finger crossed.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Didier C. Collaborator | Level 9
    Knightjar New member | Level 2
    DLH Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?